Port forwarding stops working once OpenVPN client is connected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-03 15:01:37 - last edited 2023-04-03 15:05:14
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20220429 rel.39114(4555)

Hi,

My AXE75 gets internet via our general network, i get the IP 192.168.100.32.

The Archer creates it's own network 192.168.123.0.

Here the status page:

Then I have a client (printer) with a fixed IP 192.168.123.101:

Finally I created a port forwarding to the client: 

Now I can open up the webinterface from a client in the master network with IP 192.168.100.x through the Archer's current public IP: 192.168.100.32:8251

This works well!

Now I did the setup for my OpenVPN connection. The Archer is a client and gets it's fix IP 10.8.0.123 from the OpenVPN server under 10.8.0.1. The generated .ovpn file was uploaded and the OpenVPN client successfully connects to the server.

This is the moment when the port forwarding stops working, even from the same network at the archer itself. It's loading forever until a very long timeout.

The same configuration is used with another device (not at the same time obviously), the GL-MT300N-V2 Mini Smart Router, and there are no problems at all.

Why is this not working anymore as soon as I connect to the OpenVPN? Do I need extra routing? Since it's a timeout I guess this could be a routing issue?

I read in another thread https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/183862 where the fixed IP was the problem. I also tried to fix the IP in the printer but with the same result.

Thanks for any help!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Port forwarding stops working once OpenVPN client is connected
2023-04-04 08:54:50

After reviewing the VPN settings on the server, a misconfig in the ifconfig-push was found. Strangely this didn't apply to the other device...

Anyway, routes are looking good and port forwarding is working:

The problem still remains that the device can't be accessed as soon as I activate it under the VPN Client -> Device list

Options
2023-04-06 06:53:55

@NoNameIsFree 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the TP-Link community.

Were you adding the printer to the VPN Client device list on AXE75? Can I know the reason why you connect the printer to the VPN server? As far as I can understand, I cannot think of a reason why a printer needs to be connected to a VPN server, a printer is a local device.

But please don't worry, we will also confirm this with the engineering team to check why the Port Forwarding doesn't work when the device is added to the VPN Client device list. We will update here once we get updates from the engineers.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-04-06 08:30:52

@Kevin_Z Thanks for the response.

For explanation: The printer is locally based, VPN, PHP and CUPS are running on an online server. I add the printers to the server's CUPS and I'm able to print through the VPN.

The local network will only contain printers and is only available by the server. This is working quite well with another (less powerfull) device...

Yes, as soon as I add/activate the printer to the VPN allowed devices list, the local port forwarding stops working. I get a timeout.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 501

Replies: 3

Related Articles