Kids overcame Blocked state on Archer AX10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-24 18:46:58 - last edited 2023-05-03 15:59:53
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.4 Build 20230220 Rel. 71494(4555)

Hello, I blocked my kids' Android phones and tablets by doing the following:

Tether app -> Devices -> hold on a needed connected device -> block.

But I can see that they found out how to bypass this (or your software/hardware doesn't work properly anymore), because in the morning I can see the same devices are connected to the router - so I can see the same name of the device in 'Blocked' and 'Connected' list. 

I think they download something on their devices or just use a usual reconnection or maybe change MACs of their devices (but I think this is not true because the younger son just can't do such complicated manipulations).

Any advice? How is it possible that you have such holes in security?!

I tried to overcome this by 'Access Control' and using 'White list' - but this feature is so under-developed and can be used only from the laptop, because you don't provide there a list of devices that are trying to connect (so if I delete some device from the white list, I'll need to do a lot to connect it again)!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Kids overcame Blocked state on Archer AX10-Solution
2023-04-24 20:22:06 - last edited 2023-05-03 15:59:53

@AladdinKo 

Go through this FAQ and see how this problem could be mitigated.

It is said in the document that the three features like Parental Controls, QoS and Access Control are based on MAC addresses, which means that using a private MAC address on client devices, could affect all these features respectively.

If your kids are savvy enough to bypass the proposed suggestion in the document, you could combine the Parental Controls with an Access Control feature.

For example - disable their devices private MAC address feature and add their devices' real MAC addresses in the Access Control whitelist (including all your devices at home).

Thus, if your kids reverse the disabling of the private MAC address their device won't be allowed in your home network because of the Access Control whitelist.

In this scenario when you're introducing a new device in your home network you have to add that to the Access Control whitelist - that's only the first time.

The other approach would be to use only Parental Controls feature and add the new private MAC address (from your kids devices) every time you spot it, to the Parental Controls list.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Kids overcame Blocked state on Archer AX10-Solution
2023-04-24 20:22:06 - last edited 2023-05-03 15:59:53

@AladdinKo 

Go through this FAQ and see how this problem could be mitigated.

It is said in the document that the three features like Parental Controls, QoS and Access Control are based on MAC addresses, which means that using a private MAC address on client devices, could affect all these features respectively.

If your kids are savvy enough to bypass the proposed suggestion in the document, you could combine the Parental Controls with an Access Control feature.

For example - disable their devices private MAC address feature and add their devices' real MAC addresses in the Access Control whitelist (including all your devices at home).

Thus, if your kids reverse the disabling of the private MAC address their device won't be allowed in your home network because of the Access Control whitelist.

In this scenario when you're introducing a new device in your home network you have to add that to the Access Control whitelist - that's only the first time.

The other approach would be to use only Parental Controls feature and add the new private MAC address (from your kids devices) every time you spot it, to the Parental Controls list.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Kids overcame Blocked state on Archer AX10
2023-04-25 06:25:26

@terziyski well, if I understood this faq correctly, this does not solve the problem because kids can change their wifi settings, so Patent Control and Blocking won't work! 

Because it says: 

1) "you can also disable the Private Address feature on your clients" - but kids will change this settings again, so this won't work.

2) but it also says:

"so if a device is using a private address, don’t forget to add it to the controlled list." Could you clarify on that? Does it mean I need to:

a) add kids' MACs to Patent Control list or where? I just didn't get about what "controlled list" this faq says. 

b) after that I can use usual blocking feature in Tether app, right? (steps are discribed in my top post)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 611

Replies: 2

Related Articles