Deco M9+ and M5 Home Network - Guest network does not work on any satellite units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9+ and M5 Home Network - Guest network does not work on any satellite units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-20 08:01:44
Model: Deco M9 Plus   Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Everyone, 

I have installed a Deco M9+ in router mode and connects to my ISP router with 1Gb fibre service. I have 6 remote M9's/M5's and a garden X50 Outdoor unit and all are backhaul Ethernet connected. I have 27 devices connected in total across the network also all wired to unmanaged switches. All work perfectly. The system is robust and solid since building a couple of days ago and all units are flying. There are three plug and play unmanaged Netgear switches on the system downstream from the main M9+ 

I have now set the Guest wifi option up and access is only when near the main M9+ unit. Moving away from the main M9+ unit in the house, no devices (iphones for example) can connect to the guest wifi and  cannot acquire an IP address and so the guest network does not work at all. Making the guest wifi named as test and no password (for testing purposes) also results in no connection. I've switched guest wifi off for now.

I've looked at community posts and cannot find a solution to this. If anyone can help me on this I would appreciate it as I have a solid system for main use by myself and family but no guest wifi option. Happy to share any settings to resolve. I've had a good look through the app and cannot sort.

Thanks

Bob

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M9+ and M5 Home Network - Guest network does not work on any satellite units
2023-06-21 07:34:39 - last edited 2023-06-21 07:40:29

@BobsWorld 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Can I have some pictures of the network map and the Backhaul type on the Deco APP, such as

And could you please also help me draw a picture of your network topology with the 3*unmanaged Netgear switches?

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco M9+ and M5 Home Network - Guest network does not work on any satellite units
2023-06-21 08:59:58

@David-TP 

Hi David,

Many thanks for your reply. Here is the information you requested of my network and status

Having looked at the Netgear 24 port switch spec, I'm not sure it supports VLAN? Could this be the issue? However, on my previous Draytek system through this switch it worked fine with a separate guest network.

Look forward to hearing from you after you have checked my syystem

Best regards

Bob

Options
2023-06-21 09:03:51

@BobsWorld 

All of the 19 connected devices look good on Ethernet and just two on WiFi. Happy to send the connection list privately if needed.

Best regards

Bob 

Options
2023-06-21 10:42:13 - last edited 2023-06-21 11:15:43

@BobsWorld 

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

A week ago I did see a similar issue and it is also Deco M9 plus.

I see the troubleshooting record of the engineer, and it seemed like the VLAN configuration is the problem.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/611508

the main network and guest network are separated by VLAN when Deco is in wireless router mode. I am not quite sure of the isolation protocols of Draytek mesh system and it is hard to explain why they worked with the same switch.

By the way, when I search Netgear JGS524, there are two similar models: Netgear JGS524 and Netgear JGS524E. And for the E model, it indeed has VLAN configuration:(https://www.netgear.com/support/product/jgs524e#docs). And both Netgear JGS524 and GS108 are unmanaged switches. LS1008G is from TP-link as welllaugh, also an unmanaged switch.

So if you do have 524E, you could temporarily remove it from the network and only use the 3 unmanaged switches, then test whether the guest network could work properly.

By the way, I would like to forward your case to the engineers. Since they have left the office already for public holidays, we will not get an update until they came back to the office.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 491

Replies: 4

Related Articles