Deco M4R Performance Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-03 05:17:24
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.6 Build 20221229 Rel. 72252

Getting consistent performance problems from my 3x Deco M4R set. The symptoms are 2-fold ...

1 - From a wired perspective, there are periodic and inconsistent total drops of the internet connection. Usually lasts 1-2 minutes where the PC says it's offline with no internet, MS Teams calls hang etc. ... and then eventually comes back. Happens a couple of times a day - or not at all for a few days. Very variable.

2 - On a more persistent basis, a simple PING test from WIFI connected devices will return circa 30-40ms most of the time, but every few seconds spikes to 400+ms or even times out completely (2s = 2000ms) over WIFI. This ping problem does NOT manifest over the wired network which remains 30-40ms stable. This makes it impossible to run games or anything requiring a persistent connection over the WIFI.

Logging on with the application, the system says everything is fine. Logging in over the web interface (from a wired PC) is terrible .... often cannot login at all. Often if logged in, soon times out and asks you to login again. On the rare occasion the login remains long enough, I see the CPU usage is at 100%. I have occasionally managed to retrieve the logs, but it's almost impossible over an unstable connection.

Please advise whether this is normal for the Deco M4 and if I should ask for my money back, or whether there's something that can be fixed.

Logical network map:

-- Decos are connected over WIFI to each other:   Satellite #1 -> Main <- Satellite #2

-- Main Deco is in Router mode connected to the ONT for fibre connection. Note ISP requires VLANID 10 setting for fibre.

-- Main Deco is also wired to an 8-port switch which handles the house ethernet network. Wired network has a number of devices both DHCP and fixed IP.

-- Satellite #1 has no wired connections

-- Satellite #2 also has a wired connection to a TV (usually on) and Games Console (usually off)

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M4R Performance Issues
2023-08-04 10:01:37

@antski 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

May I know how many clients you have that are connected to Deco Mesh? And how much of your internet bandwidth?

Is it possible to connect the two satellite units via Ethernet cable to the main Deco M4?

It is also suggested to temporarily disable "fast roaming" and "beamforming" under Deco APP>More>Advanced.

For the wireless device with ping spikes, please turn off "Mesh Technology" under its device settings:

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco M4R Performance Issues
2023-08-07 01:01:28

@David-TP Thanks for the reply.

May I know how many clients you have that are connected to Deco Mesh? And how much of your internet bandwidth?

- Currently 28 devices connected, though will vary as people come and go of course. I'd expect a peak of ~35 devices maybe? About 6 of them are wired, the rest wifi.

- Our broadband plan is (I think) for about 500Mbps/800Mpbs up/down though when I test from a wired device it only shows 230Mbps/280Mbps up/down. Not sure whether that's a limitation of the router of at the ISP. I will have to log a call with them to check. Either way, I don't expect we reach that limit often.

Is it possible to connect the two satellite units via Ethernet cable to the main Deco M4?

-  My ISP told me when I was setting up the Decos that we could not connect them over ethernet (backhaul) whilst also using them in Router mode. They could be joined that way in AP mode only. Perhaps you can confirm whether that is correct. Certainly we have the cabling in place to wire up all the Deco units if you advise that is a workable solution. FWIW I setup a spare router, put them in AP mode, and plugged in the ethernet cables. It was just as bad, if not worse.

It is also suggested to temporarily disable "fast roaming" and "beamforming" under Deco APP>More>Advanced.

- I have done this. It improves the situation for sure, but it's still not stable and there are still spikes.

For the wireless device with ping spikes, please turn off "Mesh Technology" under its device settings:

- Haven't tried this yet. Will try later. Should I do this also with roaming/beamforming disabled, or re-enable them and then try this?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 908

Replies: 2

Related Articles