DECO app ignoring bandwidth setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-25 02:14:48 - last edited 2023-08-29 21:59:26
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have 5 XE 75 Pro's, running in AP mode (with Smart DHCP disabled, using 6GHz for backhaul), connected to the internet provider's modem (with DHCP enabled and Wifi disabled). I have split my network so my primary network is 5GHz only, and my secondary/Guest network is 2.4GHz only. I have a number of devices that don't like dual bandwidth networks and have been configured to connect to the 2.4GHz Guest network (Wyze cams, WEMO switches, etc).

When I run the Deco mobile app, I see the Wi-Fi settings button for the 5GHz network, and the Guest Network button for the 2.4GHz network.

If tap on Wi-Fi Settings, the next page identifies the primary network as 5GHz. So far so good. 

If I tap the line that reads "5 GHz Network", the title on the next page incorrectly reads "2.4 GHz & 5 GHz Network" at the top of the page. 

If I tap the "Advanced" line, the next page says Band is "5 GHz Only". Tapping that shows the radio buttons with "5 GHz Only" selected.

The primary and secondary networks have distinct names, and the 2.4 GHz only devices are configured only for the Guest network (I double-checked their configurations).

I have tried changing the bandwidth of the primary network to 2.4 GHz only, 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz, then back to 5 GHz only. Regardless of what I set it to, the page I mention above always says "2.4 GHz & 5 GHz Network" at the top, regardless of the network setting, and I still see my 2.4 GHz devices connecting to my primary network, even though the network name is different from what they are configured for. I believe this is just an error in the application, and the 2.4 GHz devices aren't really connecting to the 5 GHz network. 

I ran for a few weeks before this problem occurred. It only started after I added a new WEMO light switch to the 2.4 GHz network, though that may be completely unrelated. 

I have tried rebooting the Deco network, but it still thinks the primary network is dual bandwidth and the app still indicates that on the title of that one page. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Update: Aug 26 2023: I've renamed the primary (5 Ghz) network and the 2.4GHz devices are still connecting to it. If I block them they lose connectivity. I'm pretty sure this has to be an application issue.

Thanks,

Scott

Options
6 Reply
Re:DECO app ignoring bandwidth setting
2023-08-28 09:46:51

@abphotoguy 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Could you please refer to this link to help me submit the APP log:

How to submit Deco APP log

By the way, can I have the model numbers of the devices that are displayed under the main 5Ghz network even though they are actually on the Guest 2.4ghz?

Have you checked whether they are all connected to the same Deco unit?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-08-28 11:34:43 - last edited 2023-08-29 12:11:42

@David-TP 

David-TP,

Please check if this is similar to TKID230512629 : "The app reports HS103 smart plugs as connected to Main Network, while in fact they are connected to Guest Network.".

For that issue to occur, 2.4 GHz device on Guest Network must be added to Smart Devices Smart Home section in Deco app. 

Options
2023-08-29 04:14:29

@David-TP 

Thanks for the response David. I just submitted the logs.

Here are the devices that have been shown on the 5GHz network even though they are connected to the 2.4GHz network:

Wyze Cam Telephoto OG: on Dining Room node.

MAC: DO-3F-27-78-6C-1A

Wyze Cam Telephoto OG: on Dining Room node.

MAC: DO-3F-27-78-81-CC

Wyze Cam V3: on Dining Room node.

MAC: 7C-78-B2-70-06-80

Wyze Cam V3: On Dining Room node.

MAC: 7C-78-B2-6F-96-82

Wemo light switch: On Basement Office node:

MAC: B4-75-0E-0B-1D-4D

Wyze Cam V3: on Basement Office node:

MAC: D0-3F-27-03-FB-FD

Wyze Cam V3: on Basement Office node:

MAC: 7C-78-B2-69-A4-36

Cheers,

Scott

Options
2023-08-29 04:17:36

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for the suggestion! 

I'm running the Deco in Access Point mode.  In that mode, there is no Smart Devices section available on the Deco app. Also, when I previously used the Deco in router mode, I never used the Smart Devices section. So this seems to be unrelated.

Cheers,

Scott

Options
2023-08-29 11:57:10 - last edited 2023-08-29 12:06:11

abphotoguy wrote

I'm running the Deco in Access Point mode.  In that mode, there is no Smart Devices section available on the Deco app.

@abphotoguy 

This is strange. I am running Deco in AP mode since I deployed it in my house, I have Smart Devices Smart Home section in Deco app for smart devices, and I used it for some time.

My Deco mesh setup is similar to yours: AP mode, Main Network on 5GHz only, Guest Network on 2.4GHz only, IoT devices connected to Guest Network. 

I know for a fact that my Main Network does not broadcast on 2.4GHz, so when I saw my TP-Link Kasa Smart Plugs that are 2.4GHz only suddenly appear on Main Network in Deco app, I knew this is just a reporting issue in Deco app. It happened when I added these devices to Smart Devices Smart Home section. I removed them and now manage these plugs through TP-Link Kasa app exclusively. This fixed that issue with my Deco mesh.

That issue came with a nice perk: because Deco app believed IoT device is on Main Network, an app allowed me to set connection preference for that device. If I wanted to, I could have forced Smart Plug on Guest Network to connect to the nearest Deco node.

If your XE75 Pro has "IoT Network" feature, consider enabling it and moving your 2.4GHz devices there, as a test. 

---------------------

Screenshot from my Deco app with Smart Home section in it.

Options
2023-08-29 21:54:48

@Alexandre. Thanks Alexandre! I misunderstood. I have that Smart Home section as well. I'll have to look into the Kasa app. Now that things are basically working well I'm hesitant to change things. The network instability I was seeing was probably just caused by rebalancing once the new Wemo switch was introduced. It seems that whenever I add a new device my camera feeds from the Wyze cams get a bit dicey for few days, then things settle down and return to normal.

Cheers,
Scott 

Options