Deco x75-pros with existing router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-31 11:19:35

Hi I have ordered a set of three XE75 Pros, but I have not set them up yet. 

I need to use my existing router because I have a 10Gb fiber connection coming in which I can't bring into the Deco unit. 

My plan was to set the existing router to bridge mode, then run a Ethernet cable to a 2.5GbE switch I have from the existing router, and then run Ethernet cables to each deco units 2.5Gbe port from the Switch, and then just pick one deco to be the primary deco. 

Is that going to work? Or do I need to run an Ethernet cable from the router directly to the primary Deco, and then have a cable from the primary deco to the switch which feds the other two decos? 

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Options
21 Reply
Re:Deco x75-pros with existing router
2023-12-31 13:33:19 - last edited 2023-12-31 13:48:54

@CharlesM99 

To recommend you optimal for your network configuration, I need to know more about your router and switch.

1. Your router, how many and what speed Ethernet ports it has?

2. What is your switch brand name and model number?

Options
2023-12-31 13:52:45 - last edited 2023-12-31 13:57:26

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the router is a Zyxel ax7501, so it has an sfp+ port where the fiber connection comes in from the isp. Then it has a 10Gb ethernet port which feeds the 2.5 Gb switch. The zyxel also has 4x 1gb ethernet ports. Then the switch goes to two other access points currently. I plan to remove the other access points, and disable wifi on the Zyxel router and only use the ex75 pros for wifi. 

The switch is a 2.5Gb switch (QNAP QSW-1105-5T )

Options
2023-12-31 13:58:01

@CharlesM99 The XE75 Pro's have a list of supported ethernet switches for the ethernet backhaul feature but this is probably somewhat bogus as I was using switches that aren't on the supported list and it was working fine with the deco's confirming the ethernet backhaul link.

I use a star network configuration with the first deco plugged into my main switch on a 2.5gbe and then the 2nd switch is on link aggregation from the main switch and that works fine also.

If you need any advice feel free to message me but it seems like you know what you're doing - Useful piece of advice: Set them all up Individually and don't plug all of them in to begin with. Plug the main one in first and set that up and the other two can be setup over the wireless backhaul link and then add the Ethernet backhaul.

These are not the most polished available consumer grade mesh nodes as they still have hardware/software glitches so expect to have confusing problems like I did. There is a beta firmware out that will resolve some of the SO ANNOYING app issues like "unable to connect" messages and I would highly recommend you download it.

TP-LINK. WE NEED ETHERNET BACKHAUL ON ONEMESH OR RSSI OR EASYMESH INCORPORATED INTO CONSUMER PRODUCTS NOW!!
Options
2023-12-31 14:07:13

I just realized the 10Gb ethernet port on the Zyxel is 10000/1000/100, and not 10g/5g/2.5g/1000/100 so it's probably negotiating to 1gbe anyways. 

Options
2023-12-31 14:13:27

@ZakCT OK thanks for the advice. 

We've been having some issues with reliability in our network, which I'm hoping to address with this upgrade. Are the issues with the xe75 pros causing unstable networks? Like will my room mates complain about not being able connect or being dropped?

Options
2023-12-31 14:43:30
You can still provide a 2.5g connection to the decos albeit with an extra step with a 10g network switch with 2.5g ports. I personally wouldnt worry about it too much as I believe these can only achieve 1.5gbps real world speeds over wifi anyway. As for issues with reliability these extenders are the pits for being a pain in the a**e. You have to enable fast roaming to get them to move the clients smoothly between nodes but the client won't switch to the nearest node unless it has been connected to that node before (or atleast I had that problem) which means you have to go around the house and stand immediately next to every node and turn the wifi on and off to connect to all of the nodes individually. The beta firmware still hasnt solved this issue!
TP-LINK. WE NEED ETHERNET BACKHAUL ON ONEMESH OR RSSI OR EASYMESH INCORPORATED INTO CONSUMER PRODUCTS NOW!!
Options
2023-12-31 15:18:42

@ZakCT oh man, no that does not sounds like what I am looking for. I am capable of messing with internet settings and playing around with stuff but the room mates want something that just works and works reliably without any issues.

I had setup a Deco X20 system a few years back for my parents and it just works, and works well. Sounds like that reliability did not transfer over to the newer tech unfortunately. 

Options
2023-12-31 15:19:43 - last edited 2023-12-31 15:47:34

@CharlesM99 

You are going to receive competing recommendations, so pick what you like. There is more than one way to solve every task.

You can have that network layout:

This will make sense, because XE75 Pro has one 2.5Gbps port. You can use it to connect Deco to the switch that supports 2.5Gbps.

To do that, you will need to configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode.

You Deco mesh setup will be as following:

1. Connect first Deco unit to router with Ethernet cable. Power it on and configure according to the guide that should come with Deco set;

2. Bring remaining Deco units close to Main Deco, do not hardwire them, power them on. They should join Deco mesh automatically in about two minutes. If not, follow this document to add them: How to add an additional unit to your Deco network

3. After you have all Deco units in Deco app as online and healthy, configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

4. You can now hardwire Satellite Decos to the switch.

For Deco mesh to work that way, both Zyxel ax7501 and switch (QNAP QSW-1105-5T) must support Deco Ethernet backhaul protocol. ISP routers usually do, but with switches it depends. The topic of Ethernet backhaul is discussed here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

For optimal performance, your switch should negotiate 2.5Gbps with Zyxel ax7501. If Ethernet port on the Zyxel is indeed 10000/1000/100, you are limited by 1Gbps, as you correctly assume.

At some point, you may decide to replace that switch to unlock Deco mesh performance. Choose 10g/2.5g/1000/100 switch, you might have to pay more for it but it'll utilize 10Gbps link to Zyxel and 2.5Gbps links to Deco units. TP-Link switches are usually safe bet, if you can find one with these specs. Unmanaged switches are recommended over managed.

Options
2023-12-31 15:24:24

@CharlesM99 

One more thing: because you already ordered XE75s, and you have experience with Deco mesh, you should try them. This forum is frequented by people who have issues with their Deco mesh, and they sometimes assume problems they have everyone will have. There is not very many people coming here to say "Thank you, TP-Link, for an excellent product with which I have no issues." smiley

Keep that in consideration. As they say, YMMV.

Options
2023-12-31 15:44:21 - last edited 2023-12-31 15:45:15

@CharlesM99 I am on my 2nd set of xe75 decos after having so many issues with the first set I presumed that they must be faulty yet I am still having issues. I am even on the beta firmware too!

I am so far away from the deco that my phone is currently connected to and I'm literally sat immediately next to a mesh node yet look at my damn wifi signal!

I'm no more than 5ft away from the closest mesh node yet I'm connected to one about 30ft away and I have been for the last hour. Fast roaming enabled too so this isn't supposed to happen and this is precisely why I even purchased them in the first place for the client hand off and fast roaming!

I have a forum post up currently on the beta firmware release thread listing off the issues I've had with this product.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2620

Replies: 21

Related Articles