Deco M5 looses internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 looses internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
30 Reply
Re:Deco M5 looses internet connection
2024-01-31 21:42:42

@Thirrony 

In your switch video's I dont see anything wrong. 

Its intresting to see that there are still devices able to be pinged during a disconnect. Do all these happen to be connected to your main deco? 

(look in the app, you can see what device is connected to what deco). And onces that failed, are they on 2nd and 3rd deco? 

Regarding your logs, I am totaly not an expert on this. The smart guys of TP Link can answer it far better then me. 

For the IP 238 and 239, in the app "pingtools" you also have an option "Local-Area Network".

There you see the IP + name of device. If its a unknown device you can click it. Search for MAC address.

You can search what type of device it is via the website macvendors (dot) com

That should give some indicator. 

Options
2024-01-31 22:59:37

@Er1 

I'd  be glad to tell you if all the devices able to ping are indeed connected to the Main DECO (I presume they are), but since disconnection I'm not able to reconnect to the internet. My Main DECO is now red solid, while the 2nd and 3rd DECOs are intermitently shining blue. So, I can't answer your question, because without internet connection, the DECO app is inaccesible.

Regarding the 238 and 239 IPs, one thing think I am sure is that it probably hás nothing to do with the TVs and Mi Boxes, because, yesterday, I unplugged all them from cable (and SONY TV from wireless) and those 2 IPs remained connected. 

The strange think is I just found these 2 IPs using the PingTools app. Looking on Google, seems like it's related to HTTP, but I don't know nothing about

it.

Without other choice, I'll reinstall everything right now, like I did weeks ago.

Options
2024-02-01 04:35:25

Just to update the remark, since I could't connect to the internet anymore (Main DECO got solid red; 2nd and 3rd DECO were shininig blue), I reinstalled everything: got a stair, reached the Main DECO, pressed the phisic RESET button (I can't do the same procedure with the 2nd DECO, because it's way way higher), then done again the same config, putting the exact same static IPs to the devices. 

IPv6 is activated (SLAAC+Stateless DHCP). 

I changed the DNS on the internet connection on IPv4 and IPv6, using always Cloudflare as primary and Google as secondary. 

Beamforming and Fast Roaming are on.

On DHCP SERVER, changed again the DNS, using the same as on internet connection.

Surprisingly, those strange IPs (238 and 239) are gone. They simply disappeared.

I don't know how long It will work correctly; last time I did all this, things started to go bad in around a week.

Options
2024-02-01 06:35:30

@Thirrony 

Just out of curiousity:

why are you using ipv6 for your lan? Is ipv4 not enough?

Do you have a stand alone dhcp server?

(i never ran my decos in router mode, not sure what option are all availible)

During a disconnect, can you still access the decos via desktop via their ip addres (without the app)?

In your logs i did find some errors with a vew devices that had static ip addresses. Also saw some errors with DNS.

Since the deco's are the issue i dont suspect beam forming or fast roaming to be the issue.

I am curious what the tplink engineers find in your log.

Options
2024-02-01 16:53:40 - last edited 2024-02-02 04:46:54

@Er1 

If I'm not wrong, the IPv4 and IPv6 are related to the WAN, not the LAN. My ISP has IPv6, that's why I'm using it, since it's theorically more efficient.

No, as as far as I know, I don't have a stand alone DHCP. Btw, the reason I also set 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 on DHCP server (here, yes, related to the LAN) was an attempt to solve the problems (one of the many sort of different attempts).

I didn't try to access the DECOs via IP during or out of connection. The only access via adress I tried was tplinkdeco(dot).net

I am eager to solve the problems, no matter how, but I need to use the DECO as a router.

What do you suggest?

Options
2024-02-02 04:50:35

@David-TP 

Forgive me for insisting, but I answered your e-mail almost 2 days ago and received no answer until now.

I need help to solve my problem with Deco M5.

Options
2024-02-02 05:50:07 - last edited 2024-02-02 05:50:50

And there it is: the first disconnection after last reinstallation just happened.

Here is the log before the reboot of all DECOs:

https://fastupload.io/6qdVvbZ6MhEKAtK/file

Options
2024-02-02 07:15:10

@Thirrony 

Hi, When Deco works in router mode, the main Deco is the most important unit. Once Main Deco is lost, the whole Mesh will drop out of the internet.

So when the main Deco M5 was solid red, the satellite Deco M5 should flash red. If the hardware is good, the "shining blue"  only appeared when Deco was reset and ready for re-configuration. In this way, the LED status on your satellite M5 was not right. 

When the main Deco M5 is solid red, it means something broke the WAN connection between the ISP modem/ONT and the main Deco M5.

The local LAN connection would not be affected. You would still be able to ping the devices from the main Deco. When your satellite M5 was shining blue, It was no longer part of the Deco Mesh at that time. It might help to explain why you can ping some of the devices, not ping failed on the rest of the devices.

But Local connection status here is not something important since it is the result of the disconnection, not the cause. 

To identify the problem and simply the network topology, you could even remove the whole switch and all the devices behind it, just monitor the behavior of the main Deco M5.

I noticed you haven't installed the debug firmware. I wish you could since there are too many unrelated logs on the official firmware and the general system log will only report when the network dropped, which has already been noted down by your observations.

I believe your ISP uses both IPV4 and IPV6. Are you able to help me save some screenshots of your IPV4 and IPV6 status when the internet dropped?

• It is under Deco APP>More>Internet Connection. You could send them to the email.
  • You could ping 192.168.68.1 so I think you should be able to log into the Deco APP when there is no internet on the WiFi. If not, please try to disable the mobile data temporarily and confirm the WiFi is the only connection on the smartphone.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-02-02 16:35:20 - last edited 2024-02-02 16:41:26

@Er1 

I tested to access the Main DECO and 2nd and 3rd DECOs via their IP adress: it was possible before and after the disconnection; the difference is that Main DECO gives more info and access than the sattelites.

@David-TP 

Hi. After last disconnection, I went to sleep. When I woke up, the internet was disconnected again.

Indeed, I didn't install the debug firmware until now, but I'll do it as soon as I finish this post on the forum and send you an email with the prints of IPv4 and IPv6 I catched on the DECO app.

One thing I must inform you is about my Main DECO cable. During the reset of the the Main DECO 2 days ago, I noticed that it went from green to red, and then to green again, while I was fixing it back to the ceiling. Later, on the DECO app, there was a notice saying about abnormal speed, and, performing a test, the speed was really limited to 100mbps. Anyway, the issues that motivated my thread existed before that and persist regardlessly of that cable damage, which I'll solve as soon as possible.

After installing the debug firmware, I'll keep you updated about upcoming errors.

Now I'll send you the pics on email. PS: sent.

Options
2024-02-02 18:38:55 - last edited 2024-02-03 00:22:33

@Er1

@David-TP 

Ok. Firmware upgraded and the cable was fixed (therefore, I have a gigabit connection again).

Let me tell you something more: all the 3 DECOs are fixed (installed) on the ceiling on a custom support (pic below of the 2nd DECO fixed on the ceiling).

https://fastupload.io/RTI5paVL71oNFgh/file

The guy who fixed the cable suppose the error has to due with a overheat of the equipment. He suggested to let the device unfixed to the ceiling to discard this hippotesys (pic below of how the Main DECO is).

https://fastupload.io/is5MjdM1XgGJN0k/file

What do you think?

Options