Open Wi-Fi network still there after re-set up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-23 09:24:47
Tags: #Wi-Fi Access Control #open wifi
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Our wifi crashed several times this week so I had to re-set up the decos. Everything has connected perfectly and works great, but the open wifi network is still "available" and I can't find out how to get rid of it. I set up the decos a second time to see if that did anything, but a new open network just took the other one's place and still won't go away even though the set up process was successful. Any tips would be appreciated!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Open Wi-Fi network still there after re-set up
2024-02-26 08:09:33

@gabrelai 

Hi, welcome to the community.

For the "Open Wi-Fi", can I have their SSIDs? Is this SSID similar to the last 4 characters of the Deco MAC address, such as Deco_abdc?

Have you tried to factory reset the Deco(by holding the reset pinhole for 1s) before setting it up again?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-02-26 10:50:21

@David-TP Thank you!

Yes it's Deco_8018.

I did a factory reset and the set up was successful, but the 8018 wifi is still there and I haven't touched it since. So you're saying I should do it all over again? 

Options
2024-02-26 11:17:09

@gabrelai 

Hi, Have you checked whether it matches the MAC address of the main Deco M4 or one of the satellite M4s?

Are all you Deco M4 solid white now?

It is the satellite M4, it would be more convenient if we try to reset it and add it back again.

Options
2024-02-26 12:37:28
It doesn't match anything on any of my decos and all of the decos are solid white and working well. If it's the satellite one, do I have to delete the whole network and start from scratch or how does that work?
Options
2024-02-27 13:57:15

@David-TP I reset everything and the Deco_8018 network kept coming up - does that mean someone near my apartment just has a Deco with no connection? Somehow it was able to be added to my new network and the open wifi has disappeared, seems like the only way to make it go away. But now it seems like I have 4 Decos when I only have 3. What do you suggest?

Options
2024-02-28 02:42:35 - last edited 2024-02-28 02:43:54

@gabrelai Hi, Thanks for the further details.

You might be able to add a nearby Deco which is in set-up mode in your own Mesh network but others don't have this option since it requires him to connect to your Deco Wi-Fi first, then sign into the same email account.

In other words, if there is someone else nearby who also has a working Deco network, he could add this Deco with Deco_8018 to his network as well.

Since this Deco is not yours, I would suggest you ignore this open Wi-Fi network.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 447

Replies: 6

Tags

Related Articles