Mesh BE9300 deco and fibre

2024-03-20 16:22:52
Model: Deco BE65  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I'm interested in the Deco BE65 for a mesh wifi. For now I'm usind a netgear modem-router but the area covered is insufficient. I do have a few interrogations before buying the Deco, thouh. I'll really appreciate you help.

First, details : I'm in France, with a SFR fibre connection, speed is aroud 700Mb/s up and down. I live in a two-storey house and a garden. I need wifi in the whole house and also in the garden.

Here are my questions :

- can the BE65 be linked directly to the ONT box to replace my actual modem ?

- As I don't need much speed in the garden (it's mostly for the automatic lawnmower), how far can the wifi signal reach, considering there will be a single wall to go through ?

Thanks for your help

Arcan

Options
5 Reply
Re:Mesh BE9300 deco and fibre
2024-03-21 02:53:04

@Arcan 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I'm very glad that you plan to invest in our WiFi 7 mesh system.laugh

Deco BE65 could be linked directly to the ONT Box.

As for the wireless coverage, it depends and usually, we recommend that mobile devices are within 10-15m from the Mesh Access Point to get a decent signal.

Deco BE65 is super fast without any doubt. Do you have many 6GHz capable devices?

Considering the overall internet bandwidth is 700m/s and the outdoor W-Fi is mainly for the smart automatic lawnmower, I think Deco X50(3-pack)+Deco X50-outdoor would be better.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/39?labelIds=8230(Like the shared case for swimming pool here)

Best regards.

Options
2024-03-21 08:29:50

@David-TP 

Thank you for your answer.

I was planning on installing the Deco, then adding the x50 outdoor if need be (which most probably will be the case) as all the deco should be compatible, if I didn't misunderstand.

I don't have 6Ghz compatible devices yet, except probably my computer (I don't do online game). I mainly chose the BE65 for the number of devices that can be connected (I have about 30 so far, but increasing...), and for a long-term investment.

That may not be the best idea though, as I won't use most of the wifi 7 and BE65 capacity for a while, especially considering the price of the x50 3-pack.

Can the X50 also be directly linked to the ONT ?

I do have another question relating to the 3-pck. Do both satellites have to be linked directly (wifi) to the main one or can one satellite be linked through the other satellite only ?

Thank you in advance.

Options
2024-03-21 08:58:52

@Arcan 

Hi, yes and all Deco models work well together.

Like Deco BE65, Deco X50 could be linked to the ONT together.

- Since you asked twice, it makes me wonder what your ONT looks like. The general ONT(also called a fiber modem) came out with an Ethernet output so all Deco models work for this connection.

*In a few cases, users might use ONT to describe "OLT" which still provides a fiber optical interface. Deco doesn't have an optic interface but Deco BE65 has an SFP port which could connect to the fiber optic with a PON stick. ---like case 1 mentioned here.

As for how Deco units are connected, the patterns vary in different situations. You might get both: star or daisy-chain topologies, and you could also specify your own network topology:

Connection Preference: Customize Your Preferred Signal Source

Best regards.

Options
2024-03-21 12:59:37

@David-TP 

Thank you again for your answer. 

I ask for the ONT because all I've tried before is Netgear, and not all their routers can be linked directly to replace the box sent by the internet provider...

I'll do as you suggest and get the x50 3-pack. I'll test first without the outdoor one and add it later if needed. From what I've seen on the site, the Tplink system seems really easy to adapt and extend.

Thank you.

Best regards

Arcan

Options
2024-03-24 17:57:13

@David-TP 

I received my Deco yesterday and installed them today.  I haven't completely finished the setup as I still have to stop my modem-router to transmit wifi, and use the ssid and password from that wifi for the IdO wifi of the mesh. That's something I've stumbled upon and which should be great. I'll have to see if all my appliances are detected and automatically added. I've got a better coverage of my garden, so I'll wait and see how it goes before buying an outdoor one. I didn't check the speeds, which I'll do later as that's not the main issue.

I had a bit of trouble with the installation until I remembered to restart my modem... Lost quite some time stupidly because of that mistake, which is completely mine. I identified it when I watched the installation vid on youtube.

I can't make it work directly plugged to the ONT, though. From my online search, it seems the Dec don't have the option 60 for DHCP which seems to be a must.

Thanks again for your help.

Arcan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 451

Replies: 5

Related Articles