"VPN Client" Missing on Deco App

2024-04-27 16:33:20
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 2.0.6 Build 20230928 Rel. 882

Trying to setup VPN Client on my Deco X50 router via the Deco App using the following instructions:

How to set up The VPN Server/Client Feature on a Deco Mesh Wi-Fi Router | TP-Link

Unfortunately, the VPN Client option is not available under my Deco app > More > Advanced menu. See screenshot below:

See screenshot below for my Android app version:

See screenshot below for the router model and firmware version:

And I tried installing this TP-Link Deco app on two different Android phones and still don't see the VPN Client setup option.

Please advise.

Options
4 Reply
Re:"VPN Client" Missing on Deco App
2024-04-29 02:56:31

@philed123 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I noticed your current firmware was "2.0.6 Build 20230928 Rel. 882". Was the Deco provided by the ISP?

Usually the ISP-customized firmware starts with 2. x.x while the general version is 1. x.x.

The software features of ISP-customized models are tailored to meet the specific requirements of the ISP. We recommend reaching out to your ISP directly to inquire about any updated firmware that may support VPN server/client features.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-07-21 20:41:06

@David-TP 

I have the same issue and I have the correct firmware. Is there a reason the VPN function is missing? 

Options
2024-07-22 01:24:38

@AFlacky1979 

Hi, welcome to the community.

The VPN server/client features haven't yet been added to Deco X50-5G.

You can refer to this link to find the supported models:

Deco VPN Server/Client Supported List

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-07-22 19:21:30 - last edited 2024-07-22 19:22:09

@philed123 

Ok, here I bought a DECO 5G AX3000 (a $400 router product which I consider rather pricey for this type of product) and I took for granted it would have a VPN client. But no luck, not by a longshot. To be honest this is probably the least configurable router I've ever logged in to, the web interface is amputated to the level of being completely useless - meaning I'm depending on a sub-par phone app (lets face it, you should never depend on a 5" screen to configure anything at all) to be able to configure it. But the lack of a (Open)VPN client is unforgivable in 2024. 

So this router hardly got unpacked and get its firmware upgraded before it is going back to the shop. As soon as it opens. I'll have to find myself  a 4G+ USB stick and get myself an ASUS or some such... I also realized that TP-Link is not alone in this vpn misventure, Huawei and Brovi (probably same hw/fw) also have limited VPN support... PPTP and L2TP is not up to par in 2024, but at least they have some vpn support.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1071

Replies: 4

Related Articles