Wired range extension between Archer C6 V4 and Archer C6 v2

2024-07-04 17:43:32
Tags: #OneMesh #EasyMesh #wired WiFi extension
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.13.6 Build 240430 Rel.54880n(5553)

I have an old Archer C6 v2 and I have recently bought an Archer C6 v4. Since I have a large space I want to use the old C6 v2 as a range extender.

In my current condition, the wireless extension from the root C6 v4 does not have a good throughput from the C6 v2, but with a wired connection, I get as good a throughput as the new one.

I know the old C6 v2 does not have Easy Mesh support but I want to use the same SSID for a seamless connection between the two C6s, that too with wired connection. Can I do that? If not then what best of an alternative do I have?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Wired range extension between Archer C6 V4 and Archer C6 v2
2024-07-04 18:03:54 - last edited 2024-07-04 18:05:21

@Blimy98 

Hi,

There is nothing stopping you from entering the same SSIDs you use on the C6 V4 also into the C6 V2. But how seamless the roaming between the two routers will be in this AP setup depends solely on your client devices, because without Mesh the routers won't assist with the roaming.

An alternative would be to use the Archer C6 V2 as your main router and add the Archer C6 V4 as an wireless OneMesh satellite device to create a seamless (but wireless) OneMesh network.
Although this is not "officially" supported by TP-Link, many users (including myself) have found this to be working nicely. You just have to connect both routers via the "WPS button" method, since the "GUI" method can't be used in this case.

Options
2024-07-04 18:08:06
Could you please explain how I execute the alternative method you mentioned? As far as I know, two Archer C6 cannot be meshed. Thank you for the reply
Options
2024-07-04 18:39:01 - last edited 2024-07-04 18:41:07

@Blimy98 

1) Place both C6 routers fairly close together (i.e. within the same room) and power them on.
2) On the C6 V4 press and hold the small "RESET" button for about 8 seconds (all LEDs should turn off for a moment) and then wait about one minute to let the router boot up again. Do not attempt to log into the C6 V4 afterwards!
3) On the C6 V2 make sure the "OneMesh" option is switched ON and then either shortly press the "WPS/Wi-Fi" button on the back or initiate WPS via the admin GUI. The WPS LED ("lock" icon) should start flashing.
4) Shortly press the "WPS/Wi-Fi" button on the back of the C6 V4. Then wait a minute.
5) Log into the admin GUI of the C6 V2 and within its "OneMesh" menu check if the C6 V4 was added successfully.

Of course this Mesh setup will only work via wireless connection, because the Archer C6 V2 does not support wired Mesh.

By the way, to support "OneMesh" the Archer C6 V2 must be running firmware version 1.3.0 or newer.

Edit: If your Archer C6 V2 was previously used in "Access Point" mode, then make sure you switch it back to "Router" mode before you start.

Options
2024-07-04 19:57:10
I am afraid I cannot use this method as both the routers will be fairly apart with concrete obstructions between them. I guess I have to use the AP mode along with the same SSID. Thank you for the input though.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 365

Replies: 4

Tags

OneMesh EasyMesh
wired WiFi extension
Related Articles