Which should be main device?

2024-07-25 19:56:02
Model: Deco S7   Deco X50-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I have 3 Deco S7's, and I just added an X50 outdoor. All are connected to each other via ethernet cable, with the X50 being directly cabled to the furthest S7. 

I keep getting a message that to improve overall network performance I should make the X50 the main Deco, as it's a higher spec model. However, it's not plugged directly into the router. 

The system is set to Router mode, and there are various IoT devices that are low tech, 2.4 only. Fast Roaming is not enabled. 

Things work well but could they be better if I switch the main device? 

Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:Which should be main device?
2024-07-26 02:49:48

@Tjuklondon 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I think You should keep Deco S7 as the main Deco.

They are both Gigabit Decos so the overall network performance would be the same.

As for the software features, Deco X50-Outdoor_V1_1.2.4 supports the VPN Server/client if you need this feature.

And the network security kit will be updated to HomeShield when Deco X50-Outdoor is the main Deco.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/homeshield/

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-07-28 17:46:28

@David-TP 

Thanks David, I dont think I need the VPN feature, but it sounds like it would be worth to upgrade the network security. Although all the units are connectd by cable, the Outdoor one is furthest away from the router (its on the 1st floor balcony, and the main router is one floor below at the ground level).

If I change it to be the main Deco, will everything else work OK?

All the best

Michael

Options
2024-07-29 01:22:26

@Tjuklondon 

Hi, It should be fine. And one more thing, under wireless router mode, only the main Deco(Deco X50-Ourdoor) can connect to the ISP main router via an Ethernet cable.

For the satellite Deco S7, when they are on Ethernet Backhaul, please make sure they are connected behind Deco X50-Outdoor, via a network switch for example:

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2024-07-29 04:43:52

@David-TP 

Due to location I will need to run another cable to connect the outdoor unit to the router directly. Before I do this, can you let me know what is the difference between Homeshield network security and what I have now with the S7's? 

Thank again. 

Options
2024-07-30 02:09:36

@Tjuklondon 

Hi, You could refer to this link to have a look at the HomeShield content:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/trending/10

TP-link HomeShield Service Content

Options