Unable to connect a X20 via ethernet

2024-08-21 13:59:03
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have 3 X20 Deco units, all connected to the main router via Ethernet cables.

The main unit in the living room works fine. Another unit upstairs also works fine. But whatever I do, the third one is always connected via wifi and not ethernet. I tried switching the units, the cables, the positions of units within the house... whatever I do, the last unit is only connected via wifi and not ethernet.

What could be the solution?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Unable to connect a X20 via ethernet
2024-08-21 14:33:37

@michalOl 

For this to work, Deco mesh must run in Access Point mode. See Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Options
2024-08-23 08:33:02
I had it setup in Access Point mode.
Options
2024-08-23 08:34:25

After a discussion with phone support, I have removed the TP Link Router from my setup and the first Deco is now the receiver of internet connection. I changed all cables for CAT6, yet the other 2 units still connect to the main one via wifi and not ethernet.

Options
2024-08-23 09:55:09

@michalOl 

Hi, Did you use any network switch to connect both satellite Deco X20 units to the main Deco via Ethernet cables?

Or is the current network topology:ISP service---<cat6>--main Deco X20---<cat6>---satellite#1---<cat6>---satellite#2

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
3 weeks ago

Hello @David-TP,

I do have a TP Link switch in the 'server room', so it's:

ISP provider -> CAT6 from optical converter (sever room) -> CAT6 in the wall -> main deco (living room) -> CAT6 in the wall -> switch (server room) -> CAT6 -> CAT6 in the wall -> satellite deco (1 in bedroom, 1 in study room).

I think that the problem is whatever goes from the main deco. Because wifi speed of the main deco is pefrect (I pay for 500 MB/s and I can measure up to 500 MB/s. But if I connect my laptop with CAT6 cable to my switch, the measured speed is only around 100 MB/s.

So I believe that my satellite decos prefer wifi because it is actually faster than the cables (which I have no idea why is that).

Options