X20 slow speeds

X20 slow speeds

X20 slow speeds
X20 slow speeds
3 weeks ago
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.3 Build 20231227 Rel. 62097

I'm trying to figure out why my slow wifi speeds are SO bad.  

Optimum advertises 100 Mbps

Laptop plugged right into the cable modem - 93 Mbps

Note 20 and 2 different laptops laptop get less than 10 Mbps, usually 7 to 8 (sometimes 9+)

I've tried:

Multiple reboots of Deco and cable modem

Disconnected and unplugged 2 staellite Decos.

2.4 and 5ghz are turned on, I tested both individually with no change.

QoS set to 1000 Mbps up and down.

Network optimization has been run a few times.

Trying a guest network for my phone and a laptop makes no difference.

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware from 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel 50738 to 1.5.3 Build 20231227 Rel. 62097.

Swapped main deco with a satellite.

I have a bunch of smart outlets, lights, 3 Tvs, Alexas, Blink cameras, tablets, phones, etc, but they all use minimal data when idle which is when I run the speed tests.

I understand network conditions, internet traffic, etc all vary and there are expected slow downs due to all this.  I would almost be happy with half of my direct plug in speeds, but I'm only getting about 10%!!! 

What do I try next?

Options
6 Reply
Re:X20 slow speeds
3 weeks ago

Also, when plugging a network cable directly into the main deco I get the same poor results.

The modem is an ARRIS SURFboard mAX Pro (16x4) DOCSIS 3.0 

Options
2 weeks ago

@slowTA 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

Have you tried to replace a new Ethernet cable between the main Deco and Arris cable modem?  please also connect the modem to another Ethernet port of the main Deco X20.

Did you reset the Deco once before and set it again on the Deco APP?

I think you might have the Deco for a while. Did this issue start recently?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2 weeks ago

@David-TP 

Yes this has been going on for a while, I just figured it was poor service from optimum until I bypassed the deco.

I used the new flat cable that came with the deco and another, both gave me good results when plugging right into the cable modem.

I haven't swapped the ports on the deco (always top plug to modem), but I swapped the deco.

I also noticed that if I plug into the main deco, I'm getting the same slow performance as wifi.

I've unplugged power from the main deco and reset it through the app.  The only thing I haven't tried is pressing the reset button on the bottom. Will the reset button wipe out any settings causing me to set up the network again?

Options
2 weeks ago

I tried swapping the ports on my main deco with no change in speed.

I then pressed the reset button on the bottom of my main deco add made a new network name so none of my devices except my phone were connected. The speed test was once again under 10 Mbps.

It seems like there is some "mental block" between the cable modem and deco.

Options
2 weeks ago

@slowTA 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

Apart from Deco X20, do you also have an ISP-provided router?

You could try to add the ISP router between cable mode and Deco and then set Deco X20 into Access Point mode to see whether it works in that way.

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

If not, I'm afraid you might consider contact the local support to check whether it is still under warranty.

Best regards.

Options
2 weeks ago

@David-TP 

I have another wifi router somewhere to try access point, but I'm really doubting that will fix anything at this point.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 184

Replies: 6

Related Articles