New Tri-Band Archer AC3200 Is Painfully Slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-13 01:10:16
Model : Archer C3200

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 0.9.1 0.1 v004b.0 Build 150831 Rel.48329n

ISP : Telus

Hi. I'm new to this forum as I've just purchased my first TP-LINK product and although hopeful, so far I'm not impressed and hope someone can help.
I bought the new Archer Tri-Band AC3200 to Replace a Netgear N900 WNDR4500 because I wanted faster speed and stronger signal. It seems I lost both. I have several problems with this new Router:
[*]Weaker Signal: I placed the new router in exactly the same location as the former but no matter where in the house (1100sqft condo) where I had 5 bars of signal I now have 3 or 4
[*]The web based interface at http://tpwifilink.net is completely frustrating. It often refuses to connect no matter what browser I'm using (Chrome, IE, Firefox, MS Edge). The stays bar just spins and spins and spins ...... it can take up to 5 minutes to get logged into the admin panel and then when I do, switching from Basic to Advanced Mode caused the admin panel to crash and I have to start all over again. I'm so frustrated.
I bought this router because the reviews an Amazon were spectacular but my experience is that this is the worst piece of Hardware / Software I've owned in over a decade. I did update the firmware to the lasted release (0.9.1 0.1 v004b.0 Build 150831 Rel.48329n) which incidentally was published yesterday (Sept. 11, 2015). And on my network I've got the following devices:
2 Surface Pro 3 PCs with AC WiFi Adapters (wireless)
[*]1 Ethernet Printer Hardwired
[*]1 Chromecast
[*]2 Windows Phones
[*]1 Android Tablet
[*]4 SONOS Devices Running on its own mesh network with 1 SONOS Boost wired into the router
[*]1 ReadyNas Wired into the router.
There's nothing out of the ordinary here and like I said its a single floor and relatively small space and speed, range are reduced while the web interface is horrifically unresponsive. I'm glad I haven't sold the Netgear Router yet. These 6 Antenna and Tri-Bands have not lived up to their promise. Any suggestions?
Options
4 Reply
Re:New Tri-Band Archer AC3200 Is Painfully Slow
2015-09-14 13:49:01
Can you ping IP address of the router properly when it crashes or refuses to connect?
Does it happen on all clients connected wired and wirelessly?
Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it.
If the problem continues, you may get it replaced under warranty.
Options
Surface Pro 3 MARVELL AVASTAR AC Is the problem
2015-09-16 01:08:25
I've narrowed it down, The problem is not the router. It's the Microsoft Surface Pro3. I've got two of them and I have the same problem with both. When I pulled out an older Laptop that I hadnt used for a while, it connected fine. The Avastar Wireless AC Network Adapter built into the SP3 is the problem. And I'm not at all happy about it. If anyone has a work around Id be grateful. I might need a USB Network Adapter.
Options
2015-09-17 01:29:31
I tried a few more things just to make sure.
The first thing I tried was to disable "Smart Connect" and then give each of the three bands a unique SSID (Smart Connect renames all three bands to the same SSID) That did nothing to improve the problem
Then I tried changing the bandwidth on both of the 5Ghz bands from Auto to 40 - and it made no difference. I still couldnt access the management page of the router or move files around the network
Then I changed the bandwidth on both 5Ghz channels to 20 and all my problems disappeared BUT and this is a BIG BUT - It also reduced my connection speed to 178 Mbps - which is clearly not acceptable on an AC or Even N network

So, I did one last thing - I disabled the Internal Marvell Network adapter and Plugged in a D-Link DWA -182 USB network adapter and put all the router settings back to their defaults and once again all my troubles disappeared. I dont know if it a firmware problem between the router and the Marvell or but clearly MS SUrface and the Archer AC3200 dont like each other.
Options
2021-09-13 14:12:52
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 776

Replies: 4

Related Articles