tl-wr841nd questions before buying

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-12-11 00:19:55
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello there, I have some questions before I proceed on buying either an AP or the tl-wr841nd but I got a bit confused while researching online for what I want to achieve. I'll explain as thoroughly as possible my setup and what I'm trying to achieve and hopefully I'll get some help from you.

--

First of all the building:

1st floor: home
ground floor: shop.

--

At the moment I have an aDSL modem/router provided by my ISP and unfortunately I cannot change it due to an "extra" service called FON that requires their router to be directly connected to the phone line.

I have a UTP cable running down to the store from the 1st floor so wired connection is possible but the WiFi range isn't quite enough to reach ground floor + I don't want my clients to get connected to my personal network whenever they get here.

--

Solution 1:

Get a [wired] AP to my router and use everything through WiFi on my shop.

-Problem: I haven't seen an AP that has Guest Network with Bandwidth Control on it only QoS that doesn't fit my needs. Please tell me if there is one in case I missed it x_X.

Solution 2:

Get the tl-wr841nd and connect it with the UTP to my router and use it as an AP with 2xWiFis 1) my personal and 2) the Guest Network so I can setup a Bandwidth Control and have a "free" wifi spot for my clients without passwords etc but limited on both BW and without being able to access my "personal" network.

What I thought is to leave my current router as is ex: 192.168.0.1 and set up the tl-wr841nd to 192.168.0.2 without DHCP ( to the DHCP will be working through the ISPs router ) setup the wireless functions as fitted to my needs (SSID, security) etc etc.

Questions:

Is this possible first of all?

If yes do the UTP goes from LAN1 ( router ) to WAN ( wr841nd ) ( so I have to find a way to setup the wr841nd to see the 1st router as a "provider" ( if it's possible ), or LAN to LAN and everything is easy-peasy?

----

I hope I was clear on what I'm trying to achieve here and hopefully I'll get some insights from you.

Best regards,
Constantine
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 350

Replies: 0

Related Articles