nc450 sd card formatting problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

nc450 sd card formatting problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
38 Reply
Re:nc450 sd card formatting problem
2020-09-15 20:13:53

Turning off 24-recording made no difference and the cards in both my NC450 will not re-format.

After all these queries concerning the same issue I think we can conclude there is a systemic problem with he harware/software that will not be fixed. TP-Link is probably not a good option for home security cameras.

Options
Re:nc450 sd card formatting problem-Solution
2020-09-17 08:02:12 - last edited 2020-09-22 06:29:16

@csumi21 

Turning 24-hour recording did not make the slightest change in status. Exept that it says "NETWORK ERROR" when I try to start 24 hour recording again. 
It must be an error in the software. But I guess that TP-Link will turn the blind eye to this. Otherwise they would have fixed it months / years ago.  

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:nc450 sd card formatting problem-Solution
2020-09-22 06:27:41 - last edited 2020-09-22 06:29:23

@Pede63 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

For anyone who would have the same issue, please refer to the following instruction to check and repair the SD card:

(which are suitable for NC cameras as well)

https://www.tapo.com/faq/93/

and if the SD card can still not be able to reset, please help us get the following information:

The brand & model of the SD card, as well as its storage capacity and format type. A picture of the card would be highly appreciated;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-22 07:52:23

@Brook 

Hi Brook. 

Sorry but: "Been there, done that". As you can read in many of the posts above, people will format the SD cards. Then the cards will work fine until they are filled up with data. Then The NC450 is unable to format the SD card whenit is in the camera, but only when it is inserted in a computer. If it stays in the camera "formatting" will go on forever. I have always checked the cards for bad sectors, so problems found. Moreover it is the same issue with all my NC450 cameras. Not just one of them. 

So, any other suggestions to make it work?

Options
2020-09-22 21:31:49

@Brook 

Yes also been there. In my case the camera will not format the card but in addition neither will anything else. DiskGenius reports no problems with the card. Windows refuses to format the card (Fat32). DiskGenius pretends to format it, but actully does nothing and the TP-Link files remain on the card. There is no way to reformat the card once it is full. This is not just one card but two, in two different cameras and now the third time I have replaced the cards with new ones. I strongly doubt this is a problem that can be fixed by use of third-party software or different kinds of card. I also strongly suspect this is an issue with the camera hardware/software. If there is no firmware update that can solve the issue then the cameras are no good. We (the people who have raised this issue numerous times)  have to advise customers to avoid purchasing these cameras, and to be suspicious of the quality of all TP-Link products.

Windows refusing to format the disk ...

DiskGenious saying nothing wrong with it ...

DiskGenious warning about formatting it ...

The result of he format - TP-Link files still clooging up the disk - no format ...

The disk (one of them with identical problems)

Options
2020-09-25 03:24:02

@jaycee 

Thank you very much for your detailed information.

We have forward your case to our senior engineers and please have a check of your email box.

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-09-25 08:46:32

@jaycee 

Please post the answer, that TP-Link will send only to you, here, so that we all can learn from it. Thank you in advance. 

"@jaycee 

Thank you very much for your detailed information.

We have forward your case to our senior engineers and please have a check of your email box.

Thanks a lot."

Options
2020-09-25 15:17:03

@csumi21 

3 x NC 450. Hardware version: 2.0
Firmware Version: 1.5.2

Not a cure, but a quick fix:

On a Windows 10 computer: Download Total Commander and use "format" to format the SD card. Total Commander will format the card. When you insert the card into the NC 450 it will give you a message that the SD card is not working and that you may try formatting it as a last resort. Chose "format" and the SD card will work until it is full of data again. 

I have tried this on a 8 GB Samsung card, a 32 GB Panasonic card and a 64 GB Sandisc Ultra card. All three NC 450 behave the same way. 

So now we're just waiting for a new firmware, thank you very much :-) 

(Total Commander: https://www.ghisler.com/download.htm) 

Options
2020-09-25 20:24:34

@csumi21 as far as I can see there is no native "format" command in Total Commander. You can right-click/format a drive letter, but that is just invoking a windows DOS shell command, and does not work for me.

Options
2020-10-20 07:39:01

@Pede63 

So; since I can format my SD cards with Totalcommander (on both my Windows 10 computers) I have experienced that if the cards are full, they cannot be formated by the cameras. But if I format them before they are full, they can easily be fomated. The biggest card s a 64 GB card, but still you can only use up to 32 GB before you cannot format it.

Options
Related Articles