Switch wiring help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Switch wiring help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Switch wiring help
Switch wiring help
2018-12-26 20:17:49

Need a little help with my new TP 200 switch.

Out of the wall box I have a white(neutral), copper (ground), a red and a black.

On the switch, I attach the white to white, green to the copper, and the black switch wires to the red and the other to the black coming from the box.

I get power and wifi to the switch and connection to my phone.  My issue is that the light flicks on and then off immediately both when I manually turn it on or when I use the phone.

Any suggestions as to why? Is my wiring wrong?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Switch wiring help
2018-12-26 23:11:05

If you have a red, black, green, and white wire attached to your original switch than you have a 3-way switch meaning 2 switches control one light.  This switch is supposed to be for lights with one switch.  There is a way to bypass the 2nd switch if you really want to use the smart switch there, but you would need to take the 2nd switch out and change the wiring a little.

Hoss16 wrote

Need a little help with my new TP 200 switch.

Out of the wall box I have a white(neutral), copper (ground), a red and a black.

On the switch, I attach the white to white, green to the copper, and the black switch wires to the red and the other to the black coming from the box.

I get power and wifi to the switch and connection to my phone.  My issue is that the light flicks on and then off immediately both when I manually turn it on or when I use the phone.

Any suggestions as to why? Is my wiring wrong?

Options
Re:Re:Switch wiring help
2018-12-27 01:05:43

Thanks for the reply.

That is odd as it only controls 1 light.

When I took the regular switch out.  The white was not being used, the red was in the top right amd the black was in the bottom right.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Switch wiring help
2018-12-27 07:03:00
I found a setup video on TP-Link official website, hope that works for you: https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/HS200.html#video
Options
Re:Re:Re:Switch wiring help
2018-12-27 23:27:18

Is the 3 wire (Red, Black, White, Ground) the only wire in switch box?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Switch wiring help
2019-01-01 16:52:13

yes

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Switch wiring help
2019-01-01 16:54:50

I watched that video.  Still no dice.  I know for fact it only controls one light

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Switch wiring help
2019-01-04 17:06:21
Usually 3 wires with a red means this is a 3 way switch and the HS200 generally won't work there. It's not about controlling more than one light, it's about having more than one switch to control the lights. There are work arounds for this: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/wemomanager/wemo3ways.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Re:Switch wiring help
2019-01-08 16:27:24

I’m having the same problem and mine is also a one way (not a two way). Did you ever get it figured out? Can you lend advice?

Options
Re:Re:Switch wiring help
2019-01-08 23:23:59

I haven't tried lately.  If I get it figured out I will post

Options