HS210 3 way instalation with neutral in 1 box only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-02 17:41:05

Hi,

I'm looking for some help installing the HS210 3way switch for my home where I only have neutral wires in 1 box. 

First, is this possible? of so, would I need to replace both switches to HS210 or can I just replace 1 switch and keep the other existing switch and still have it work as a 3 way switch?

My box with the neutral wires also have 2 black and 1 red.  The other box has 1 red,1 black, and 1 white.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Options
6 Reply
Re:HS210 3 way instalation with neutral in 1 box only
2019-01-02 18:45:46

I had the same issue.

just install on of the HS210s into the box that has the neutral. leave the other one with the original dumb switch. when you do the set up you just have to cheat the second switch by saying its not ready yet. 

everything works fine after that in my case so i don't see it being an issue in yours. 

Jax613 wrote

Hi,

I'm looking for some help installing the HS210 3way switch for my home where I only have neutral wires in 1 box. 

First, is this possible? of so, would I need to replace both switches to HS210 or can I just replace 1 switch and keep the other existing switch and still have it work as a 3 way switch?

My box with the neutral wires also have 2 black and 1 red.  The other box has 1 red,1 black, and 1 white.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Options
Re:Re:HS210 3 way instalation with neutral in 1 box only
2019-01-02 20:14:56
Hi Mooda, Did you follow the instructions as per the Kasa app to instll the first switch with Neutral wires and just left alone the dummy switch? or did you also have to change the wiring of the dummy switch? I followed the Kasa app for the first switch with Neutral and left the dummy switch. When I turned the power back on it seemed to work when the switch was on, but when the switch was off I was getting a small glow from the bulb which would constantly turn off and back to small glow. It would not stay off.
Options
Re:Re:Re:HS210 3 way instalation with neutral in 1 box only
2019-01-02 20:28:09
i did not touch the dummy switch at all when i did the installation. i have one doing a fan and another doing lights and i have had no issues. while this is not recommended and cannot be left as a permanent state you can try this as a test. Install the second switch in place and use the ground as the neutral wire. technically it will boot up see if you are having the same issue. if not then you may want to grab a new 3 pole switch for the dummy if not you may need to return the kit. Like i said do not leave it in that state ground should not be used as a nuetral generally even though it works. only for testing
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:HS210 3 way instalation with neutral in 1 box only
2019-01-03 16:01:55

thanks for your help Mooda.  Im still not having any luck with this. It keeps tripping my one of my GFI plugs in the bathroom which must be on the same circuit.  I dont want to mess around with this exectrical too much so unfortunately Ill have to return this kit.  It would have been a nice feature if I could get it set up though.

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:HS210 3 way instalation with neutral in 1 box only
2019-01-03 22:14:20

By code bathroom GFIs won't be on the same circuit as anything else so you've got some sort of wiring problem, esp if the light is glowing.  Not a good idea to guess with wiring so yeah, consult with an electrician (get one with experience with smart switches) or avoid using it there.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Re:HS210 3 way instalation with neutral in 1 box only
2019-01-24 16:02:00

Hi, I have the same issue and I still can't figure out how to wire my switch.

My first box has a line and neutral wire coming in, then a 3 conductor (red, black and white) cable that goes to the seocnd box.

The second box only has the 3 conductor cable and no other cable.

How did you wire the HS210 switch in your box? I can't get mine to work at all.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3310

Replies: 6

Related Articles