Smart plug connecting to college wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-14 03:11:35

My college has a 2.4 wifi avalible for these type of things to connect to, but I cannot connect my phone to the network. Is there a way to set it up without my phone connecting there as well? I was able to make  device connection but after that it is greyed out and will not let me do anything with the smart plug.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Smart plug connecting to college wifi
2019-01-14 19:44:14 - last edited 2019-01-14 19:44:25

Yea I do not believe there is a way to connect a plug to a shared wifi environment like that.  I've tried at my work with no luck.

Ryan

Options
Re:Smart plug connecting to college wifi
2019-01-15 06:11:14

Wi-Fi at college or places like mall usually is portal W-Fi which requires additional login beside Wi-Fi password, sometimes no Wi-Fi password required but you need to log in with username and password from web browser. 

Tplink smart home doesn't support that kind of Wi-Fi.

Options
Re:Re:Smart plug connecting to college wifi
2019-01-15 18:00:15

To be a bit more clear: if you can't connect your phone to that network it's unlikely the plug is properly connected either (as per the above answers).  Even if you can get it to connect you proably don't want to as anyone on the network will be able to find and control your plug.  A better option is to setup a private bridge with one side connected to the network (assuming you can do so) and the other for the TP Link and your phone.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3066

Replies: 3