TPlink Spot cameras and Google Home "support"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-14 23:19:59
Model: KC100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, i have just bought a few TPlink cameras, as they say that they "work with Google Assistant", and i would like to keep the same brand as my smart plugs which work perfectly.

Having set them up, it seems the only thing i can ask google assistant/home to do is "show on chromecast", which is not very useful to me.

I was expecting, (like i do with other brands of cameras) that i could make them turn on/off, or atleast enable/disable notifications with google assistant/home, using voice control, or routines, so i can automate the cameras like i do with all other TPlink switches/bulbs.

So my question is, are there plans to fully add google assistant support so i can do the above with voice or routines?

Without this feature, i'd have open the app each morning/night go into settings of each different camera and toggle notifications as required every day, when with my other cameras i do nothing, i just automate them with "good night"/"good morning" voice routines so i don't even have to think about it at all. This seems an essential feature, any information if/when this will be added is appreciated.

Regards, BustaUK

Options
7 Reply
Re:TPlink Spot cameras and Google Home "support"
2019-08-15 08:31:03

@BustaUK 

Below is the introduction to use voice command to control the camera.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1558/

Meanwhile, due to the privacy and security, we cannot use the voice command to turn on/off the kasa camera, instead, as you know, we can do that on the kasa app manually. 

For the notification, you can customize the frequency as you like on the kasa app. 

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2261/

Note: You can customize it under settings-notificatioin page.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:TPlink Spot cameras and Google Home "support"
2019-08-15 12:58:08

Hi, are you saying that google assistant will never be fully integrated with tplink cams "due to the privacy and security" and this is intentional?

As i said above, with another camara i own, from another brand (ezviz) it does this without any trouble, can you explain how this is a security/privicy risk? the camera name and/or the enable/disable voice commands can be changed to something obscure to protect against intruders messing with them to avoide any security risks.

i have 4 cameras, and to enable notifications each night when i go to bed, or if i leave the house, i currently have to wake up phone, open app, scroll down to a camera, click settings, click notifications, click the notification toggle, hit back 3 times, then select the next camera and repeat this 4 times separately for 4 different cameras, and do the oppisite in the morning and when i return home to turn off notifications. A preceedure that is frustrating and not user friendly. When with my Ezviz camera i can just say a phrase like "hey google, enable/disable all camera notifications" or "hey google, turn on/off all cameras" and it does what i ask with no effort and not needing to open any apps and make multiple clicks.

With Tplink IFTTT integration we can already enable/disable the cameras with voice commands, but i still want my cameras running when i'm home, i don't want to fully turn them off, it's just the notifications i want to disable when i'm home. Also, im aware of the notification schedules in the kasa app, this wouldn't be suitable for me, as i go to bed and go out at random times so a schedule/timer wouldn't be any use.

If you could look into this a little deeper for me, and find out the real reason this isn't suported yet, seems a huge oversight for a "smart" camera to not work with google assisistant as other products do. I'd love for you to come back and tell me that tplink are working on this for the next software/firmware upgrade.

Many thanks, BustaUK

Options
2019-08-21 23:52:16

Kevin_Z wrote

@BustaUK 

"Meanwhile, due to the privacy and security, we cannot use the voice command to turn on/off the kasa camera"

However, as i pointed out, TPlink do already allow us to turn on/off the cameras by voice, but only by using a 3rd party, ie IFTTT, so it can't be a privicy issue can it?

I am asking when will the cameras get full native support for Google Home, so we can turn on/off cameras/notifications with voice/routines, the same as TPlink allow with their plugs/bulbs, as right now it is a pain to disable notifications separately for several cameras in the app?

(now, u may be thinking, why not just use IFTTT, well, IFTTT does not check to see if the camera exists, or confirm if it the request was successful or not. IFTTT just sends out a command and hopes the camera responds, if it doesn't respond u'll never know... whereas, Google Home sends a command and gives a confirmation, it will tell us if a command is successful or fails (if the camera is unavailable) and is easyier for the average user to use without having to mess with IFTTT.

So @tplink can u subbmit this to your tech department, or someone higher up, and find out if/when Google Home intergration is coming (other brands of cameras already have this) or atleast give an actual genuine reason why not (it's not privicy) so i can decide to either wait or return these cameras?

Regards, BustaUK

Options
Re:Re:Re:TPlink Spot cameras and Google Home "support"
2019-08-22 09:27:28

@BustaUK 

Thanks for your clarification. 

We have noted that and reminded our R&D colleagues, they will work on it and evaluate the feasibility to add the full native support for Google home in the future. 

It will take some time and it is hard to say that it will be added or not. 

Anyway, you can keep an eye on our official website for more updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-08-28 15:55:27

okey, thanks, appreciate your support, i hope to hear some positive news in the next couple of weeks as i have until the 13th sep before i would have to return the 4 cameras i have.

It's kinda missleading, as they are advertised to support Google Assistant (I would assume at minimum to enable/disable them, like other cameras/switches/bulbs), but only after buying them I realised Google Assistant does nothing natively except show the cameras on chromecast.

I have seen other posts regarding this same subject, but no outcome so far. If anyone else reading this can show some interest, as i feel the more people that get involved the more likely TPlink will take notice, and add this basic functionality.

Regards, Jeff c:

Options
2019-09-09 22:07:35

just a reminder, i have only a few more days left to return these cameras to amazon (by 13th sep) if TP link can not fullfil this request.

any update on when TP link cameras are going to fully support google home/assistant? as i said above, they are advertised to work with google stuff, but actually do very little (literally one thing with a chromecast), we need to atleast be able to enable/disable them and/or the alerts?

Regards, BustaUK :)

Options
2019-09-10 08:20:18

@BustaUK 

Sorry to tell you that there is no progress made yet; to be honest, it cannot be fulfilled within a short time. 

If you highly need more authorities to manage the device via voice command, you can return it first. 

Meanwhile, you can keep an eye on official website, you can order a new one once it was updated and resovled.

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1790

Replies: 7