Kasa app works fine but Google Home and Google Assistant cannot reach any Kasa smart plugs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa app works fine but Google Home and Google Assistant cannot reach any Kasa smart plugs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-22 04:56:13
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.4

I have 10 smart plugs: HS105 and HS110. I can reliably turn them off and on using the Kasa app and using Alexa devices. But for some reason Google Home / Google Assistant stopped working after months of reliable service. I have checked the router and assigned static IP addresses to all Kasa plugs. Rebooted the router.

Note that in the Kasa app if I turn off wifi on my phone and only use LTE, all smart plugs can be remotely powered off and on. (I realize that Google Assistant depends on remote access.)

I have tried linking and unlinking the TP-Link Kasa account multiple times. The Home app consistently lists all plugs in the correct home and room for each. Is there anything I can do to further troubleshoot the problem?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Kasa app works fine but Google Home and Google Assistant cannot reach any Kasa smart plugs
2019-08-22 09:35:09

@Goattee 

Thanks for your reply. From your description, the smart plugs should work well cause they can be remotely controlled by the kasa app consitantly. 

First, is there any error message if they cannot be turn on/off by the Google home? 

Try to change another device name on the kasa app and re-link them to the Google home/assistant. 

Besides, you can contact the tech support of Google to get some specific help. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Kasa app works fine but Google Home and Google Assistant cannot reach any Kasa smart plugs
2019-09-02 08:10:44

Hi there

Have you tried to sync devices via Google assistant? It happened to me once, some devices were not working properly after some update or change. It all got fixed by saying "ok google sync my devices". It will refresh accounts data linked to your google account. I hope it helps!

Sync devices

Nochu

Options
2019-10-03 07:00:58

@Goattee am I getting the same as you?

I can say "turn all the lights off" and it'll say "Sure, turning 2 lights off." (even though I have 5 lights) and then "sorry, I couldn't reach TP Link Kasa".

And then when I ask to turn off particular devices by name, I get "Sorry I couldn't reach TP Link Kasa".

When I say, "sync all my devices" [@Nochu] I get "The account owner will need to sync TP Link Kasa".

I read that someone had received this "account owner" issue when there were multiple accounts in use in the Home, and when one of those accounts had previously configured some of the TP Link devices.  So I unlinked my partner from the Home, unlinked TP Link Kasa, relinked it from Add Devices, and then it worked fine.

My next step will be to ask my partner to remove the devices from their account [https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1351/?utm_medium=select-local] then join the home again.  Although we don't need that second account, so I might just ask them to delete their account entirely [https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2629/].

My theory is that this is down to me having invited someone to my home who already had a Kasa account that was at one time connected with Google Home, but which now cannot be reached as it's my account that's Linked in the "Home" we're using.  It would be interesting to know if you had the same thing?

Options
2019-10-07 08:47:40
NB to resolve this, I noted that my partner still had a Google Home set up in Google, associated with an old TP Link Home, so I unlinked the TP Link association from their old Google Home, deleted the Google Home, and now it seems stable again...
Options
2019-10-09 08:17:08

@aMillionBytes 

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear that you figured it out finally.

Thanks for your sharing again, it helps a lot.

You can enjoy the smart life with the device now.

Best regards.

Options
2020-09-28 18:04:27

@Goattee 

I had this problem after I moved to a new home. When I finally looked into it, I found out I needed to delete the old home, so I now have only one home and tp-link works fine now. Fingers crossed it continues!

Options
2022-02-17 22:50:22

17Feb2022

I just had this problem today for the first time.

But only 1 outlet.  I'd ask google to "turn on the bedroom light" and it would turn it on, but the say:

"Sorry, I couldn't read the TP-LINK Kasa"

Someone suggested to ask Google Assistant to sync all devices.

It said it did, but this did not work.

I checked on the Home app and found that this bedroom light was no longer in the room, "Bedroom."

That was odd.

So, I moved it to that "room" that was already there for a long time and after a few seconds, all was working fine again.

I don't have more thatn 1 "Home" set up, so as some say that they had to disconnect an extra "home", that wasn't the issue here.

How interesting that all I had to do was put it back into the "Room" (bedroom) again.

I hope that helps otehrs with this issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 16

Views: 29802

Replies: 7