Can't add HS100 smart plugs in local-only mode without granting the app access to my device location

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't add HS100 smart plugs in local-only mode without granting the app access to my device location

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-26 17:14:12
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have four HS100 smart plugs which I'm trying to add to the Kasa app for iOS.

In the past, on the old versions of the app, it was possible to add these plugs to Kasa in "local only" mode (on a local WiFi network) without requiring a Kasa cloud account, without connecting them to the wider internet, and without granting extra device permissions to the app.

Now if I try to add the plugs to the app, it asks me to first connect to the internet, and also asks me to enable Location Access permissions for the app on iOS.

1. I want to use the plugs on a local WiFi network only, without access to the outside internet and without a Kasa account.

2. I do not want to grant location access permission to the app, and this was not required in previous versions of the app.

Please can you tell me how to proceed?

Can the app be updated so it does not require internet access and does not require location permissions to add a local-only plug?

This seems like a huge step backwards for the app. Privacy is becoming much more important to consumers and TP-Link should not be trying to counteract this.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Can't add HS100 smart plugs in local-only mode without granting the app access to my device location
2019-10-29 10:25:31

@hugetony 

Hello, for your information, with the APP upgraded, there is no toggle to turn on/off the remote control in the new APP, while it is enabled by default after the initial setup.

1. For the local only issue, there is a workaround. 

Try to sign out from the Kasa app first and then re-open the kasa app and click create an account, then tab on skip and select continue without an account;

After finish the configuration, the device is local only, no remote control available. 

2. The location access is necessary to ensure the features work properly, like schedule, timer, sunset/sunrise. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Can't add HS100 smart plugs in local-only mode without granting the app access to my device location
2020-01-08 03:22:48

@Kevin_Z   Unfortunately this didn't work.  Any other ideas?

Options
2020-01-09 01:22:23

@ddelgrande 

What is the model number of your device? 

Below is the instruction to make the kasa devices controlled only. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2707/

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-09 02:11:22

@Kevin_Z   Sorry Kevin, I had put my iPhone into privacy mode which was the root cause of the problem.  As they say, "My bad!"

Options
2020-11-04 05:56:51 - last edited 2020-11-04 06:01:40

@hugetony 

Hi All

The above solution worked great for me where I have 20 HS100's and NO internet.

UNFORTUNATELY when you finish initializing a new HS110, Kasa wants to update the

firmware but there is no Internet.

Also there is no escape button to quit this screen, so basically have to turn the phone OFF

and restart to clear this hangup.

EDIT: Or unplug the new device and press the "Update Now" button.

This times out and says "Update complete" ???

Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3041

Replies: 5

Related Articles