Kasa Care - TPlink reconsider ? 2 years Free? - Might as well just throw cam away instead!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa Care - TPlink reconsider ? 2 years Free? - Might as well just throw cam away instead!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
46 Reply
Re:Kasa Care - TPlink reconsider ? 2 years Free? - Might as well just throw cam away instead!
2020-06-07 17:20:13 - last edited 2020-06-07 17:20:38

I don't think so, no.

I think that as of 4th July, I personally (and everyone in my position) will be left with cameras that will have no cloud storage and be on TP-Links 'new' free service.

I can't see anything in the documentation about the length this 'new' free service lasts before some sort of subscription is required.  I guess the is because its basically no service at all and just live streaming with motion alerts.  It gives users 'something' for nothing rather than rendering devices useless after 2 years if no subscription is forthcoming.

The 'old' free service with up to 2 days free cloud storage dependent on camera model would have cost them something to run and for most people 2 days would be sufficient.  After all if you needed the footage for evidence etc you'd download it to keep.

So I think TP-Link suddenly had a penny drop moment and realised that probably 90% of users would simply stick with the free service for the 2 years then write off the camera and upgrade to a newer model.  Not a great business venture.  Afterall things have moved so fast in this sector over the last few months, even since I bought mine in July 2019.

Thats my view and Im happy to be proved wrong.  Personally all I want is my remaining 13 months of service with 2 days cloud for my KC200 and 1 day for my KC100s. Thats all.  Although I'm happy to get a lifetime free premium just to keep quiet and go away!!!  LMAO!!!

Options
Re:Kasa Care - TPlink reconsider ? 2 years Free? - Might as well just throw cam away instead!
2020-06-07 18:33:14

@Radar1968 

I think if they have essentially defrauded us if our money by clearly stating a feature on the box which many people took into account when deciding which cameras to buy and then withdrawing it, they should offer refunds. 

Options
2020-06-07 19:27:50

Ok I'm confused.

On their TP Link/Kasa web site now it says this:

====================================================

Now, to me this still says we get 2 days cloud storage as out free plan (on a KC120) 

What am I missing here?

Options
2020-06-07 20:08:53 - last edited 2020-06-07 20:09:22

That must be local to your country (USA I'm assuming as in $) I'm in the UK.

Here is our link off the UK support site. Totally different and dated 2019.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1962/

I think yours is probably more what I was expecting. Looks like you may have dodged a bullet there. At least you'll get some cloud storage.

Options
2020-06-07 20:42:45

@Radar1968 

Thanks for the link.

I'm UK as well.

Never occured to me, there would be a UK/USA difference.

If I'm honest I never checked if that was a UK or USA page, as I said, I just presumed it would be the same change in both places.

Options
2020-06-07 20:44:54

@Radar1968 

Just looked at your link.

Well it seems the same tro me.

2 years, but only 2 days cloud.

If you want more than 2 days history you need to pay.

Are you reading this different to me?

Options
2020-06-07 21:06:25

@SnaffyNoo 

There are definite differences by country. I've seen a New Zealand user who bought a camera whilst in UK but who now can't register for Kasa Care as it's not a service in New Zealand.

The UK bit does indeed read roughly the same as the US one but with 2 important differences. 

1. The UK one says you only get 2 years worth of free service and was written way back in Jul 2019. 
2. The US one is consistent for the new paid service prices and is from April 2020. 

I hope that the UK page gets updated in the same way. I'm more than happy with 2 days footage as long as I can download as well. 

maybe the UK support teams will get back time next week when they are back in work. 

Options
2020-06-07 21:25:29

@Radar1968 I suspect 2days only applies to the 120 too. My kc100/110 will probably get 12hours if I'm lucky. Such a waste.

Options
2020-06-07 21:28:24 - last edited 2020-06-07 21:35:51

@SnaffyNoo 

The UK is definitely different. 

https://www.kasasmart.com/gb/kasacare

The UK free plan is basically useless and differed for the US one. 

The UK terms of service also do not mention a free plan as such. They point back to the above link.  They imply that you must choose a plan when you first register and the choices are free (useless) or one of 2 subscriptions. 

https://www.kasasmart.com/1/legal/gb/kasacare-service-agreement

My best guess now is we are screwed.  As far as I can tell anyone now buying a TP-Link camera must pay a subscription and they have canned all the historical free contracts as well to bring them in line. 

They have aligned themselves with other services like Ring. I don't have a fundamental issue with this as they are a business who make money.  What I do have an issue with is govong me something and then taking it away before it expired. 

Options
2020-06-07 21:40:41

Honestly 2 days is fine for me.

If someone breaks in and I get warnings, then I'll know what I want to do within 2 days.

For a outdoor camera perhaps more would be helpful as more things may happen outdoors.

I've emailed the American tech for clarification, but did not think of a UK/US difference when i did that.

Hopefulyl someone will get some UK clarification soon.

Options