Kasa 3 gang face plate.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa 3 gang face plate.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Kasa 3 gang face plate.
Kasa 3 gang face plate.
2020-07-14 18:34:39

I am new to these switches. I have a 3 gang panel that I want to put 1 smart switch in and leave 2 dumb switches. However the kasa top and bottom are too thick so it appears that you either replace all 3 with smart switches or none. Is this right?

Also even if I replace all 3, seems they the faceplate won't sit flush with the wall. 

Seems rediculous that the company would make a faceplate (other than one gang) to fit their own switches. Am I missing something? Strongly considering returning. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Kasa 3 gang face plate.
2020-07-15 01:37:39 - last edited 2020-07-15 01:38:53

@Tgod288 

Same issue here.  It seems the although the Kasa switches work well, are from a major brand, and are very nicely prices - someone dropped the ball when they went with the thick ears and the bright white color.  I've got 11 installed (and a few more to go), and found this issue when I picked up dumb switches and covers.

I assume you are referring to screwless covers?  The thicker Kasa face (proud from the wall) causes the mounting frame to sit higher, which causes the snap-on cover to have a gap to the wall.

Did you find color-compatible dumb switches?  I have Leviton (HD), Eaton (Lowes), and LeGrand (Menards), and all are darker than the bright white of the Kasa.  Same issue with the cover plates.  The Legrand is the least offensive, although it is matte vs. the glossy of the Kasa and the other switches.

This seems to be a common complaint for a couple years.  I imagine some people won't notice or care.  Others - like me - will grind their teeth with each lightswitch they pass in the house.

I'm too far down this path to return them.  I'll see if I can find any solutions.  One could remove a little drywall at the Kasa ears so the switches sink down some.  This image shows a dual gang mockup - tabletop, not wall - so in theory the dumb switch and Kasa are at the same height.  It's either this or back to plates with screws I guess (ugh).

Dual Gang Mockup

Options
2020-08-02 19:19:56
The switches work great, but man the gap in the wall plate when using a multiple switch plate and the bright white color really sucks!!
Options
2020-08-03 13:30:59

@Oatmeal 

You must be using screwless plates?

I ended up only installing Kasa switches where it made sense (13 maybe at present? - Crazy, and I have 3 more in case I find some more locations), and keeping my toggle switches in all other locations.  I then just got combo screw-on wall plates, and everthing looks good.  I'm not noticing the color mismatch nearly as much without having an entire wallplate full of Kasa switches.

Funny - in this process my perception of old toggle switches has gone from "out of date" to "classic and understated" looking - and toggles are actually my preference.  Probably because I've learned that the rockers are a PITA to all get straight, alligned, and color matched to wall plates.

Options
2020-10-24 02:24:41

@Oatmeal Here is a link to the wall plates that I found matches perfectly. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1XXG0A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Y84KFbSPQ6SYM

Here is a picture.

Options
2020-11-30 16:11:31 - last edited 2020-11-30 16:13:20

Thanks! I was looking for three of these and you saved me 50% of what Lowes has them for. 

Options
2021-01-30 05:37:55 - last edited 2021-01-30 05:38:59

While I know it may not be for everybody, upon inspection of my current screw-on wallplate for my 3-gang of switches I found it was the plastic molding around for the countersunk screw was causing the plate to be pushed off the wall. I carefully shaved down that area with a dremel and now it sits flush to the wall with no problem. Not as easy of a solution, but it took me 10 minutes and no cost.

But I do like the look of that screwless wallplate so I might just buy it anyway :)

Thanks for the tip!

Options
2021-12-05 01:13:45

@Mahloot I now both love and hate you 😀 I didn't have a dremel so used a knife to trim down the back, worked amazingly, apart from I slipped and took a nice chunk out of my finger.

Thank you for the input though, I still plan to replace with screwless eventually but this keeps the wife off my back until I do

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 21325

Replies: 7