Tapo camera keeps reverting to LQ, after being set to HQ

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-31 22:01:23 - last edited 2020-08-04 01:52:44
Model: Tapo C100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

Hi, I have a Tapo C100 that continuously records to mircroSD card. Everything seems to work pretty good, however after setting the camera to HQ (high quality) it always seems to revert to LQ after a while. this is a serious issue that I cannot seem to resolve, and I have a feeling it is a firmware issue that needs to be fixed.

I have tried some different things to get it to stay in HQ mode: switching to HQ then leaving the app open in the background, switching to HQ then closing the app. Sometimes if I leave the app or close it and re-open it shortly after it will still be in HQ mode, but regardless of what is done if I leave the app or close the app and some amount of time has passed before opening the app again, it is always back to LQ.

I am always accessing the live view from the same wifi network that the camera is on.

Please help, thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo camera keeps reverting to LQ, after being set to HQ-Solution
2020-08-04 01:51:40 - last edited 2020-08-04 01:52:44

@whynotnow 

Hello, thanks for bringing this up.

To ensure a smooth Live View in a somehow low bandwidth environment when viewing the camera remotely, we set the video resolution to LQ by default. You may switch to HQ manually on the Live View page if you have a high bandwidth certainly, and it will keep HQ until you close the camera app.

Generally, only when viewing the camera remotely it will switch to LQ by default, it is HQ automatically when in local viewing. But if you view the camera in the same LAN and it always switches to LQ automatically, please check and ensure the communication is via the same wireless connection, you may try to turn off 4G mobile data the phone and confirm.

Another potential reason might be the bandwidth is not sufficient or the connection status between the camera and the host router is too weak or bad that the live view was forced to LQ automatically. Please kindly have a test to see whether there is an issue with the network bandwidth or if there are too many devices are connecting to the router at the same time.

Good day.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Tapo camera keeps reverting to LQ, after being set to HQ-Solution
2020-08-04 01:51:40 - last edited 2020-08-04 01:52:44

@whynotnow 

Hello, thanks for bringing this up.

To ensure a smooth Live View in a somehow low bandwidth environment when viewing the camera remotely, we set the video resolution to LQ by default. You may switch to HQ manually on the Live View page if you have a high bandwidth certainly, and it will keep HQ until you close the camera app.

Generally, only when viewing the camera remotely it will switch to LQ by default, it is HQ automatically when in local viewing. But if you view the camera in the same LAN and it always switches to LQ automatically, please check and ensure the communication is via the same wireless connection, you may try to turn off 4G mobile data the phone and confirm.

Another potential reason might be the bandwidth is not sufficient or the connection status between the camera and the host router is too weak or bad that the live view was forced to LQ automatically. Please kindly have a test to see whether there is an issue with the network bandwidth or if there are too many devices are connecting to the router at the same time.

Good day.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo camera keeps reverting to LQ, after being set to HQ
2020-08-04 20:27:33 - last edited 2020-08-04 20:30:04

Brook 

Thank you for your reply. There is no bandwidth issue with the router. A question I have is if the camera is continuously recording to microSD card does it record in HQ or LQ? Like when I view the camera in live view and it has switched back to LQ, could the recoding to microSD still be taking place in HQ, but I am just seeing it in LQ on live view? Or are they one in the same?

Options
2020-08-06 01:04:18

@whynotnow 

Hello,

Thanks for the update.

The recordings saved in the microSD card are HQ by default, no matter you are watching it in HQ or LQ in live.

Options
2020-08-06 02:02:27

@Brook 

Oh ok, that's great that it records to the microSD in HQ regardless. The liveview issue switching to LQ isn't as big of a deal if that's the case.

Options
2020-08-06 08:39:55

@whynotnow 

Hi, thanks for your understanding.^_^

Just remember to back up your recordings if necessary, as the new recordings will overwrite the old ones automatically when the microSD card is full.

Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 4210

Replies: 5