HS210 3-Way Smart Switch - No Circuit Status Feedback on App or Switch LED

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-10 23:14:41 - last edited 2020-08-13 09:12:45
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Hello,

I recently installed six HS210 3-way smart switches in our home. Four of them are in a four-gang junction box and two of them are in a two-gang junction box. All of them have hot lines (black) connected to them. They are all single-switch installations (one smart switch on only one end of each 3-way circuit).

Five of the six HS210 switches work perfectly (three of the four switches in the four-gang junction box and both of the switches in the two-gang junction box). Those five switches turn on and off via the app when the power button is pushed and the status of the lights are also reflected in the app. Those five switches also properly turn the lights on and off in the circuit when pushed, with the LED on the switch also properly reflecting the status of the lights (LED off indicates the lights in the circuit are on and vice-versa).

One of these HS210 smart switches, however, is not working properly. It will turn the lights in that circuit on and off at the switch, but the LED on the switch itself will remain lit. Also, when I press the power button in the app, the switch does cycle on and off, but it does not show the status of the lights in the app. It always appears as if the switch is off.

I have reset the switch and the problem still exists. I have also toggled the other non-smart switch in the 3-way circuit to both positions and the problem still exists.

Might this particular switch be defective?

I love the TP-Link switches and am in the process of converting our entire home to them. I have already installed a combination of 24 single-poles, dimmers and 3-ways and have more on the way. I also have a very good understanding of electricity and home wiring, but I'm not perfect (just ask my wife laugh).

Thank you, in advance, for any feedback you can provide!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS210 3-Way Smart Switch - No Circuit Status Feedback on App or Switch LED-Solution
2020-08-13 09:12:40 - last edited 2020-08-13 09:12:45

@Wizard_of_Uz 

Hello,

May I know how far between the problematic HS210 with the other side? Please try as below:

Press the HS210 (A) and the other side (ordinary switch B) four times alternately (in the order of A, B, A, B) to check whether the Wi-Fi light on the HS210 will change (the Wi-Fi light turns on and then off).

If the Wi-Fi light doesn't change at all, the problem may be caused that the traveler wires are too long. 

Firstly, please send us a picture of your wiring diagram, and let me know how long the traveler wire is and your detailed use scenario, such as whether the traveler wire is buried underground or not.

If the traveler wire is buried underground or using a single HS210 switch with a standard switch, the length of the traveler wire needs to be no longer than 100 feet.

If possible, please swap the problematic HS210 with one of the other five or try to use two HS210s in kits to confirm if the issue will disappear.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:HS210 3-Way Smart Switch - No Circuit Status Feedback on App or Switch LED-Solution
2020-08-13 09:12:40 - last edited 2020-08-13 09:12:45

@Wizard_of_Uz 

Hello,

May I know how far between the problematic HS210 with the other side? Please try as below:

Press the HS210 (A) and the other side (ordinary switch B) four times alternately (in the order of A, B, A, B) to check whether the Wi-Fi light on the HS210 will change (the Wi-Fi light turns on and then off).

If the Wi-Fi light doesn't change at all, the problem may be caused that the traveler wires are too long. 

Firstly, please send us a picture of your wiring diagram, and let me know how long the traveler wire is and your detailed use scenario, such as whether the traveler wire is buried underground or not.

If the traveler wire is buried underground or using a single HS210 switch with a standard switch, the length of the traveler wire needs to be no longer than 100 feet.

If possible, please swap the problematic HS210 with one of the other five or try to use two HS210s in kits to confirm if the issue will disappear.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:HS210 3-Way Smart Switch - No Circuit Status Feedback on App or Switch LED
2020-08-19 21:05:41

@Brook I alternated the 3-way switches on both ends of each circuit in all possible combinations. I also changed the existing 3-way smart switches with completely different switches on both ends of the circuits. The end result was always the same; The status of the indicator LED on the switches did not change and the app's light status was unresponsive after a few seconds of touching the power icon. It is not possible for me to determine the length of the traveler wires, since they are all run inside of conduit tubing and our home has two floors. It is safe to assume, however, that they *could* be over 100 feet in length, so I went ahead and purchased additional HS210 3-way smart switches and added them to these problem circuits. Once a second switch was added, the issues were resolved and everything worked as intended.

Since my initial post, I had this same issue happen again in the final 3-way circuit to be converted over to Kasa in our home. By adding a second 3-way switch on the other end of that circuit, the issue was also resolved. Although the solution was not ideal, it was a solution, nonetheless.

Thank you for your assistance. It is much appreciated!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1087

Replies: 2