Votes

How to Share a Kasa Device?

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread Sharing devices between multiple accounts. Please vote on the main thread.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread Sharing devices between multiple accounts. Please vote on the main thread.
This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-31 03:52:33 - last edited 2023-01-04 09:46:07

I can't work out how to share ONE of a NUMBER of devices with someone?

Options
8 Reply
Re:How to Share a Kasa Device?
2020-10-31 14:19:55 - last edited 2023-01-04 09:45:46

@dbareis 

Good day,

Currently, Kasa device does not support share to a different account.

If someone else wishes to control the plug, he might need to log into the same email ID of yours;

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-10-31 21:43:33 - last edited 2023-01-04 09:45:46

@Brook 

I don't want someone to have access to all my devices, I want them to have access to one of these and another person to have access to yet another device.  Unless you support multiple accounts in the Kasa app and I can set up one device to each account and see a combined view from multiple accounts myself, I can't use your workaround being useful.

What is the ETA for device sharing?  Is it on the next release?

I was under the impression that TP-Link was an established brand, and not new to smart devices, if I had of known that you are new to the field and don't support this basic functionality I'd never have bought these devices.

As usual good hardware let down by shoddy software. I could put up with your widgets don't work etc...

Options
2022-01-20 05:39:31 - last edited 2023-01-04 09:45:46

@Brook what type of support and security is that? Isn't the recommendation to never share your username and password with other people? Generally speaking, this is a huge flaw in TP-Link's security and customer experience. My roommate and I have devices throughout our home and I do not wish to provide them with my username and password considering it's the same credentials that I use to manage my devices in my bedroom as well as some of my families Deco devices. There must be a better solution. Is something at least in the works for future development to make this possible or can we put in a feature request to upvote the necessity for this?

Options
2022-04-27 15:03:14 - last edited 2023-01-04 09:45:46

This is still a problem today, April 2022 (nearly 2 years after these postings). The obvious solution would be to be able to set up a guest account, assigning certain devices to that account, but still being able to control all the settings etc. without fear of these being corrupted by somebody else. This really is an urgent requirement. I currently have three devices in two locations and would like to assign two of the devices to be viewed by others, which could be done with a guest account for them.  The only way I can see around this at present is to take one of the items out of the account and put it on a different account, but that still means the other 'viewers' would be able to change settings etc.  It also inconveniences me, as I would have to keep logging in to two different accounts.

Options
2022-05-04 12:20:55 - last edited 2023-01-04 09:45:46

My smart locks allow the first person who sets them up to act as the owner/manager, and then can extend invites to other users via email so the device can be added to their account/app. They can be set as owners, users, or guests. Access can be changed at any time by the owner.

By comparison, TP Link's implementation feels lazy.

Options
2022-07-26 03:50:12 - last edited 2023-01-04 09:45:46

My smart locks allow the first person who sets them up to act as the owner/manager, and then can extend invites to other users via email so the device can be added to their account/app. They can be set as owners, users, or guests. Access can be changed at any time by the owner.

By comparison, TP Link's implementation feels lazy.

Options
2022-10-12 19:23:17 - last edited 2023-01-04 09:45:46

I have a few smart switches by TP-Link, and some smart plugs from some other brand; those smart plugs allow sharing of devices w/out giving out your credentials.

this is just unacceptable.

I was looking to get more TP-Link smart devices figuring it's better to have the same brands throughout the house, but this is a show stopper.  until they get this sharing feature up, I will not buy any TP-Link smart things.

Options
2023-03-21 00:04:00

@dbareis 

" How to share a Camera with 

Someone?"

Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 11705

Replies: 8