Tapo C200 connecting to Synology over TP-Link Deco network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-01 20:49:35
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Had my Tapo C200 connecting to my Synology NAS on my old wi-fi network. Today I set up a new TP-Link Deco mesh network for the house and everything is working fine (including accessing the camera through the Tapo App but I can no longer connect to it from my Synology.

Appreciate this is a somewhat unique setup but has anyone come across this or similar? Is there a way to force open port 2020 on Deco?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 connecting to Synology over TP-Link Deco network
2020-11-03 03:11:33

@tomwilmot 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

May I know the model number of your Deco devices?

Did the Deco work on the access point mode or wireless router mode

And is there any error message when Tapo camera failed to link with NAS?

Are you able to ping the Tapo Cam on the NAS?

As for the port forwarding, please refer to this link: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1797/

If possible, could you please help me run a simple test:

1. Still connect back the old router; then set up one of the Deco to be access point;
  2. Check on the Tapo and NAS again to see what happened;

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-11-04 12:57:57

@Brook 

Hi

I'm using 2 Deco M5s in my current set up. I have since managed to do some more troubleshooting on this. It appears that my NAS which is connected by ethernet directly to my router can't see my Tapo C200 as the networks aren't actually linked fully. The NAS has a 192.168.1 IP and the Decos issue 192.168.68 IPs which are used by all other devices on my network.

I can see the NAS (192.168.1.#) from my PC (192.168.68.#) and I can see the Tapo C200 (192.168.68.#) from my PC but I can't see the Tapo from the NAS (192.168.1.#) so the bridge issue appears to be from the routers network (192.168.1.*) to the Deco network (198.162.68.*) but not the other way round.

Unfortunately I can't just move the NAS to plug into the Deco directly as that means all of it other functions (automatic backup, network accessibility and VPN) stop working.

I've also tried having the Deco's set up in both modes (Router and AP) and taht doesn't make any difference to the connectivity link.

Thanks

Tom

Options
2020-11-05 01:14:40

@tomwilmot 

Good day,

Thanks a lot for your detailed information.

I think put the Deco into the access point mode should not have the double NAT issue and there would only be one IP range which is 192.168.1.xxx

So did you mean, even the Tapo and NAS are in the same IP range, they still fail to see each other?

And there is another workaround, have you tried to open the ports on the Deco for Tapo camera when it is on the router mode?

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1797/

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-11-11 06:13:09

@tomwilmot 

Hi!

Sorry for disturb you and since our senior engineers are quite concerned about your case, so are you able to access the camera on the Synology via Deco?

Thank you very much!

Options
2020-11-11 08:22:33

@Brook Hi - Sorry I've not managed to rest my network since your last message. I'm hoping to do it to day and will reply as soon as I've tested it again.

Tom

Options
2020-11-12 09:27:35

@Brook 

Hi Brook

Thanks for your help with this. Putting the Decos into Access Point mode worked, it means I lose the additional device / network controls but my Tapo is now visible across the network which is the more important part for me.

I did try port forwarding in router mode but that didn't work unfortunately.

Tom

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1698

Replies: 6