What was Kasa thinking? (Wifi password change)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-05 14:02:50
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am a big fan of these Kasa smart plugs. Never had a problem with them until I had to change wifi password. 

I enabled ISP provided router wifi as "old" wifi. I changed EERO SSID to something new. I found out Kasa does not allow change of wifi through app. 

First, if this was my company, I would not want customers to be screwed by a wifi change if for example they had 10+ kasa devices. I would want them to be able to change that setting through the app and in a bulk manner optionally. Not sure what is corporately dysfunctional within the Kasa division. Appears something is. 

Second, I do hard reset on the fist plug and it will not add back. I had deleted it in the app, logged out from app, unplug/plug outlet, uninstalled/reinstalled app, and it still can't find any wifi networks in the neigbourhood. Seriously? I try enter login via hidden SSID. No go. 

I am a software engineer, which I imagine a significant chunk of smart home users are. Because I can't imagine someone non-technical having a hope in hell of overcoming the traps companies (divisions) like Kasa unwittingly lay for customers in the less common use cases. 

Can anyone recommend a home smart plug that does a lot better than Kasa in these deficits?

Options
2 Reply
Re:What was Kasa thinking? (Wifi password change)
2020-11-09 05:50:14

@KasaFan 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Currently, Kasa device does not support changing wireless network directly and the only way is to factory reset the smart plug, then set up from the beginning.

Have you successfully added all the plugs back to the new Wi-Fi?

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Options
Re:What was Kasa thinking? (Wifi password change)
2020-11-23 09:12:24

@KasaFan 

This is a great observation and I hope that TP-Link take it on-board for a future feature.

I have 9 TP-Link devices, my old ISP router blew up, the newer version wouldn't take the "weak" password the old router had. And as TP-Link said, "the only way is to factory reset the smart plug, then set up from the beginning. " - which took a significant amount of time, especially as my plugs are in hard-to-reach places.

I definitely agree with you that as a Techie guy I could diagnose and fix the issue - but I guarantee that my wife would just have thrown the smart plugs/bulbs away and lived without them rather than try to fix the issue - because it's not easy to remedy in the app.

Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 2876

Replies: 2

Related Articles