My new Tapo C200 won't connect to my 2.4G Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-19 16:45:52 - last edited 2020-11-24 09:13:33
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've been using the Tapo App for several years and currently have 2 Tapo plugs and 5 Tapo C200 cameras attached to it. They are all working fine.

I've just purchased a new Tapo C200 and trying to add it to the system but am experiencing a problem. I follow the instructions, switch on the C200, wait for it to flash green/red which it does. Then connect my mobile device to the temporary Tapo Wifi network shown in my list of available Wifi networks and so far that's all fine and confirmed. Then the app  tells me that the C200 is not connected to my home Wifi and claims there is no appropriate 2.4G Wifi signal availalable for the C200 to use. This surprises me as my mobile device hosting the app is connected to my home 2.4G Wifi (which has a strong signal) and working fine. So then I have to use the option offered by the app to manually specify an alternative 2.4G Wifi network. But I only have the 2.4G network to which the mobile device is connected and which I have been using for many years. So I manually type in my home 2.4G Wifi network & password to which my mobile device is connected and tell it to complete the connection.

To my astonishment I then get a message saying that my network is "unstable" and I need to move my mobile device closer to the C200. Well it's already standing there right next to the C200 and both are right next to the router sending out the strong Wifi signal. I really can't get them all closer together. In particular the Wifi signal is excellent to my mobile device and all the other Tapo devices (+ numerous other Wifi devices) are working fine when connected to this network. Yet the the app still assures me my network is "unstable".

In desperation to get my C200 up and running I switched to a second mobile device which is also connected to the same 2.4G home network with the same strong Wifi and try to do the installation of the new C200 there. Again I am told that my excellent 2,4G home Wifi network is "unstable" and it once again refuses to install my new C200.

Can someone please suggest if I'm missing something or doing something that is preveting the new C200 connecting to the same 2.4G netwok as all my working Tapo devices?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:My new Tapo C200 won't connect to my 2.4G Wifi-Solution
2020-11-21 16:27:47 - last edited 2020-11-24 09:13:33
We'll I am absolutely astonished and surprised! Overnight my Tapo app installed an update dated 19 November. The update says: "Fixed some bugs and improved the stability". Well, you could have knocked me down with a Mexican fruit-fly: to my amazement the installation problems instantly disappeared. My new C200 camera has now been installed perfectly! The difficulties I encountered on the day I posted the problem have totally vanished. I've never before encountered such an almost instantaneous fix of a software technical problem. Thank you developers.
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:My new Tapo C200 won't connect to my 2.4G Wifi-Solution
2020-11-21 16:27:47 - last edited 2020-11-24 09:13:33
We'll I am absolutely astonished and surprised! Overnight my Tapo app installed an update dated 19 November. The update says: "Fixed some bugs and improved the stability". Well, you could have knocked me down with a Mexican fruit-fly: to my amazement the installation problems instantly disappeared. My new C200 camera has now been installed perfectly! The difficulties I encountered on the day I posted the problem have totally vanished. I've never before encountered such an almost instantaneous fix of a software technical problem. Thank you developers.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 4736

Replies: 1