Pot lights

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Pot lights

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Pot lights
Pot lights
2020-12-01 17:40:44
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have pot lights installed around my house on two switches with timers.  I would like to replace these timers with the HS220 to utilize the wifi and dimmer capabilities. One switch has about 13 LED pot lights at 10w each for a total of 130w and 8 on the other for 80w total. 

My electrician tried replacing these timers with Feit wifi dimmable switches from Costco but it was tripping the breaker eventhough Feit was rated at 150w total for LED lights.  It could be that the switch capacity was exceeding or the switch is not compatible with the pot lights.  

My question is... has anyone been able to use HS220 with the same load as what I've described above. 

Thank you.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Pot lights
2020-12-01 18:18:58

@seynom Sounds more like it wasn't wired properly or the dimmer switches were broken (less likely).  The switches draw maybe 2-3W each maximum, adding 150W shouldn't come close to the 1600W needed to trip a breaker in NA unless you've got more than 500 of them...

I think they're good for 150W, if you exceed it they won't pop the breaker, they'll probably just burn out and stop working.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-12-01 18:35:08

@MikeP thank you for the quick reply.

Not really sure what the issue with the Feit switches, we tried all 3 switches that came with the package and the results are the same.  I will try HS220 and see what happens.

Options
2020-12-02 01:11:45

@seynom I'm going to raise my guess to 99.999% it's a wiring problem :).  The likelyhood of 3 separate devices having the same problem is almost 0...  For sure the electrician didn't wire them in correctly and caused a short.  Unless it's fixed when you wire in the HS220 you'll have the same problem.  Keep the receipt!

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 467

Replies: 3

Related Articles