iPad on WiFi will only stream video from WAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-12 09:51:55
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.13 build 201217 Rel.53432n

Hardware: Tapo C310 camera connected to router via wifi

ipad mini 3 connected to router via wifi. iOS 12.5.1

TP-Link Tapo software installed from the Apple App store. Version 2.2.38

Problem: Tapo software will only stream from the cloud on older devices and will not attempt to connect to the camera using the same WiFi network

Usage: iPad permanently on and used to monitor the front of the house.

The above setup was working without issue full time for 1 week, until I rebooted the router and the camera lost its WAN connection for a few minutes.

Since then, every 5 minutes the iPad pauses the camera stream and displays an alert on its screen.

"You have viewed the live video for 5 minutes without any operation. Continue the viewing?"

I've spent days trying to troubleshoot this problem. On forums like this one, I've seen other people describing the same issue, but the solution always boils down to "Your device is streaming the camera feed from the cloud because the device is not on the same WiFi network as the camera and the Tapo software is saving your data allowance". I'm scratching my head because my iPad and camera are both on the same WiFi network. Putting the TP-Link Tapo software on my phone, I can view the camera feed without getting the 5 minute warning. Putting the same software on a newer iPad Pro is also trouble free. The issue only shows up with this older iPad mini 3.

If I disconnect the router from the WAN, both the phone and iPad Pro can continue to stream the camera feed uninterrupted without the internet connection, so proving that they are connected directly to the camera via WiFi and not streaming footage from the cloud. The iPad mini immediately loses the feed, so proving that it is only connecting via the cloud. With the WAN connection still disconnected, if I close the Tapo software on all the devices and restart them, they will all show an icon stating the connection is unstable, but the phone and iPad Pro will still see the camera and connect to it to view its feed. Starting the Tapo app on the iPad mini without a WAN connection only gets as far as a login screen and will go no further without the ability to login online, so proving that the latest Tapo software running on older devices will only stream from the cloud now and will not attempt to connect via WiFi

Options
1 Reply
Re:iPad on WiFi will only stream video from WAN
2021-02-20 17:29:53

@10Thumbs 

6 weeks and no reply. Wonderful.

Fortunately, it seems to have resolved itself. Would have been nice to have known the cause in case it happens again

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 559

Replies: 1