HS210 Switch Not Reconnecting to Router after Router Reboot Without Switch Restart

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS210 Switch Not Reconnecting to Router after Router Reboot Without Switch Restart

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-24 15:16:30
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.8

I am using one switch from an HS210 kit on a circuit that typically works perfectly fine. However, if I reboot my wireless router (e.g., manual reboot, power outage), the kasa switch will not reconnect to wifi unless I push the 'restart' button at the bottom, after which it reconnects just fine. The switch's MAC address is set up with a reserved IP address in the router. I did not find this issue until after a recent firmware update, although it may have occurred previously as well. The wifi SSID is not hidden.

I contacted support, and their response was basically "yeah, it is what it is" rather than anything about fixing the firmware. Here's their response:

"Thank you for reaching TP-Link Customer Support. I hope you are having an amazing day that is normal. 
There are devices that actually reconnects automatically to any platforms 
There are devices that have to reboot in order to reconnect. There is nothing that we could recommend to you, that will be the way it is. 
Whenever you will have to reboot your wifi router and the unit didn't adapt to the router. You have to reboot again the unit itself, just like any other device."

This, in my opinion, is rather ridiculous on this amazingly normal day. One shouldn't have to run around their house and reset every smart device after rebooting their router as the device firmware should retry connecting at intervals until the network is again available. It looks like others have had similar issues recently and posted in the community, but I haven't seen any solutions. For now, I set up an automated ping script to at least notify me when the switch is no longer on the network, but come on TP-LIink, this would be a pretty simple problem to solve in the firmware. Has anyone else found any fixes for this?

Options
2 Reply
Re:HS210 Switch Not Reconnecting to Router after Router Reboot Without Switch Restart
2021-02-24 18:06:37
I am having the exact same issue. I have a TP-Link access point and when I reboot only 90% of the wall switches connect. I have to reset them to get them to connect. I posted my issue here a few days ago. No one responded. I am not sure if TP-Link reads these forums. Very disappointing in the response they gave you and this forum.
Options
Re:HS210 Switch Not Reconnecting to Router after Router Reboot Without Switch Restart
2021-02-27 16:36:48

Has anyone else had this issue and/or found any solutions other than manually restarting the smart switch each time?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 608

Replies: 2