TP-Link / Kasa with Draytek and WiFi MAC address filtering stopping bulbs working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link / Kasa with Draytek and WiFi MAC address filtering stopping bulbs working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-27 11:34:40 - last edited 2021-03-27 11:35:42
Model: LB110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8.11

I have several TP-Link bulbs, connected via KASA (ALL working) when suddenly, a few of them stopped working when i installed a new router (another draytek).

After several days of pulling my hair out, i have managed to locate the issue.

The afftected bulbs are the LB110 and the Kl110, HWv1, FW 1.8.11.

I set all the bulbs up (again) on KASA. NO problems.

I then link (again) Kasa to my Smartthings infrastructure but several of the bulbs will not register and will not work from within smartthings although they WILL work fine via KASA.

IF i enable mac address filtering on the router (all my IOT and smarthome is on a seperate wifi network, isolated from my LAN) then this will stop the affected items working properly. If i disable mac filtering then all is returned to normal.

I would prefer to enable filtering for a security point of view but if anyone else has the same issue, check mac filtering is not enabled.

Devs!!! Please check and rectify. From an infosec POV this needs fixing.

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-Link / Kasa with Draytek and WiFi MAC address filtering stopping bulbs working
2021-03-28 12:56:47

@Cornz You may be looking in the wrong place for a fix...  enabling/disabling mac filtering on the router has nothing to do with the kasa client devices, it's a router issue.  I'd first confirm you're using the correct MAC in the bypass rules, and double check you're not using a rule that's blocking the MACs from accessing the internet (vs blocking from them from connecting to wifi).

Using MAC filtering for wifi connection is wasted effort - any hacker that can break your WPA2 encryption is certainly going to easily bypass your MAC filter.

MAC filtering for internet access does make things safer, but you can't use it with kasa & smartthings as they communicate via cloud - the kasa devices need to be able to reach the internet for this to work.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Re:TP-Link / Kasa with Draytek and WiFi MAC address filtering stopping bulbs working
2021-03-28 19:50:28 - last edited 2021-03-28 19:50:46

Hi Mike and thanks for taking the time to reply. It isn't so much a plea for help as a notice to others whom might find a similar issue. My router has a whitelist for all devices on SSID 2 (the designated IOT wifi station). Now this is the oddity, when i enforce the whitelist, the KASA app works but smartthings, using the Kasa>Smarththings link wont work with the whitelist. Disable the whitelist and it all works. The only thing anything on that SSID cannot access is my LAN, it has full WAN access. I do agree somewhat about MAC filtering but as i see it, ANY defence is better than no defence and if my neighbours doesn't enforce whitelists then hopefully, they will be hacked as it is easier. Thanks for the reply.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 655

Replies: 2