Doubts before purchasing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Doubts before purchasing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Doubts before purchasing
Doubts before purchasing
2021-04-28 15:27:53 - last edited 2021-04-30 07:25:29
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi guys, 

I am setting up a small office and I need to buy a security camera with night mode. 

The idea is that the camera triggers an alert to my smartphone in case somebody enters the office at whatever time and that I record these events somewhere outside this office. 

I couldnt find the information if the recordings would only be saved on an SD card on the camera itself or if they would be pushed outside to the smartphone app for example for me to be able to access them even in the eventuality the camera also would get stolen in case of someone entering. 

I am considering the Tapo C200 or the Tapi C310

The jewel would be to be able to get any of these cameras feed power through a USB port so I can place a battery bank in the middle acting as a little UPS for the camera, it would be connected over Wifi to a Wireless router with a SIM card that provides unlimited internet, so in case of a power outage the camera and Internet connection should continue running without trouble for some hours. 

Thanks a lot for your advice and comments 

Surferride

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Doubts before purchasing-Solution
2021-04-29 23:01:57 - last edited 2021-04-30 07:25:29

@Surferride 

Hi!

The Tapo C200 has for me been very stable and picture quality both in daylight and night mode is quite ok. So the camera works very well. WiFi is stable and app works well too.

But I cannot recommend the Tapo C200 for your needs for a couple of reasons.

1 - Security, You cannot use a strong password if you want to save/stream via RTSP to a server. 

2 - The only way for you to save a recording of someone entering your office outside of said office is to manually save it in the app while it happens. Otherwise it will only be on the SD card.

3 - Updates and promised functions are slow to emerge and some will probably never ever show up. I've been waiting for for the ability to add automations like One tap Coming and Leaving Home for months now and still nothing.

So have a look at something else than the C200, I will too, I'm done with this one now.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Doubts before purchasing-Solution
2021-04-29 23:01:57 - last edited 2021-04-30 07:25:29

@Surferride 

Hi!

The Tapo C200 has for me been very stable and picture quality both in daylight and night mode is quite ok. So the camera works very well. WiFi is stable and app works well too.

But I cannot recommend the Tapo C200 for your needs for a couple of reasons.

1 - Security, You cannot use a strong password if you want to save/stream via RTSP to a server. 

2 - The only way for you to save a recording of someone entering your office outside of said office is to manually save it in the app while it happens. Otherwise it will only be on the SD card.

3 - Updates and promised functions are slow to emerge and some will probably never ever show up. I've been waiting for for the ability to add automations like One tap Coming and Leaving Home for months now and still nothing.

So have a look at something else than the C200, I will too, I'm done with this one now.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Doubts before purchasing
2021-04-30 04:28:38

@Surferride 

I would not currently recommend using TAPO for a security system. TAPO is relatively new and there are only a few problems left, mainly software problems including firmware I think. On the other hand, I've used a few other inexpensive cams and it was the same everywhere, TAPO is still a better choice by comparison.

Options
2021-04-30 07:25:09

@nicodemus109 thank you for sharing your feedback and thoughts. Seems to be like a very basic security functionality, if the recording is not pushed elsewhere and the camera gets stolen, it deceives its purpose as a security camera as you wont be able to access the footage no? 

Options
2021-04-30 07:39:15

@Surferride Don't forget the price, you could try Foscam instead, but you will pay much, much more for the equipment.

If you have one of your computers running 24/7, there is another solution. Catch the stream via RTSP from your cameras using a software like iSpy, Blue Iris or whatever and then let the software doing the job. That's what I am doing and it works very well.

Options
2021-04-30 08:21:41

@gboelter Thanks for your feedback, I will consider this too and have a look at the options. The idea of a camera with its own platform to do this was tempting as it would have  better image quality than a webcam to be honest...but will have a look. Thank you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 422

Replies: 5

Related Articles