Use Tapo C200 over VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Use Tapo C200 over VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Use Tapo C200 over VPN
Use Tapo C200 over VPN
2021-05-04 09:52:26
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.7

Hello,

I want to use my Tapo C-200 without internet connection (Internet is blocked in Fritzbox router).

This works good and I can connect to the camera using the Tapo app when I am at home in the same network. Unfortunately the app does not connect to the camera when using a VPN connection to the router (I can access everything else in my network through this VPN). It shows the camera as "offline".

Do you know why this is and how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Use Tapo C200 over VPN
2021-05-20 12:31:46

I am trying to do the same thing without success. I can connect to any other device in my local network when being connected from outside to the FritzBox via a VPN connection. My phone gets assigned a "normal" IP in my local subnet 192.168.178.X and I can even ping the camera. However, in the Tapo app, the camera appears as "offline".

I am wondering if they actively try to block this use case by guessing whether one uses a VPN - or if there is some hidden settings in the FritzBox that does not allow it...

Options
Re:Use Tapo C200 over VPN
2021-09-06 10:15:02

Has anyone resolved this problem yet?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1394

Replies: 2

Related Articles