HS100 Smart switches slow to respond...or not at all after WiFi router upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-25 01:41:02 - last edited 2022-01-11 09:07:36
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

Have been successfully using HS100 switches along with LB100 and LB120 smart bulbs for some time with my ASUS Lyra mesh WiFi router. Recently, I upgraded my WiFi router to an ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 mesh network and here’s where the problems started.

My LB100 and LB120 smart bulbs continue to work fine … through the Kasa app, through Google smart speaker commands and through the Kasa app while away from my home and using 4G. 

However, not so the HS100 smart switches. Through the Kasa app on my iPhone and iPad, they are very slow to respond with the green ring on the On/Off button spinning and stuttering for 5 or so seconds before responding. This is while I’m home using WiFi. If I’m away from home and using 4G, they are mostly greyed out and/or don’t even show a button. Even if there is one to push, they usually respond with a message saying that the device is unreachable. If I use a command to my Google Smart Assistant, usually they will respond at some point (but not always) but not before I receive a message saying “TP-Link Kasa cannot be reached right now” and I should try later.

I switched back to my previous ASUS Lyra router and everything went back to its normal snappy self including being able to access the devices when away from home. As soon as I reverted to the ASUS ZenWifi, the problem returned. Again, I am experiencing no such issue with the LB100 and LB120 smart bulbs which continue to work fine.

I’ve tried resetting the router to factory specs as well as resetting a couple of the HS100 smart switches (firmware current at 1.5.7) but it still makes no difference to them. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestion about how to correct it? 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:HS100 Smart switches slow to respond...or not at all after WiFi router upgrade-Solution
2021-08-17 11:32:47 - last edited 2022-01-11 09:07:46

@Pedro109 I had the same issue and I believe I solved the issue. It's the Adaptive QoS (Quality of Service) setting that is enabled in the XT8 router. If you disable this all your smart switches including the HS100/110 versions go back to normal. I believe they do not get prioritisesd because they only have a 1Mbit bandwidth. This was happening with my LIFX switches also. 

Hope this helps :) 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:HS100 Smart switches slow to respond...or not at all after WiFi router upgrade-Solution
2022-01-11 01:30:10 - last edited 2022-01-19 20:57:42

@Pedro109 I have an new XT8 Zen Router and was experiencing the same issues with slow and intermittent kasa switches.  I found a solution on another forum that worked for me and kind of makes sense.

Post in thread 'XT8 constant disconnects' http://www.snbforums.com/threads/xt8-constant-disconnects.74905/post-715513

Under wireless network, for my 2.4ghz, in professional tab set:

Beacon interval: 1000

DTIM interval: 1

Save and reboot.

My beacon internal was set to 100 by default.

This was on top of setting my channel bandwidth to 20MHz and binding my smart plugs to a specific node.  So you might try these additionally.

UPDATE 1,  2022/01/19:

Turns out changing the beacon interval was not a long term fix.  After a little while the issue came back and I continued to have long delays using google assistant.  What has worked for the past couple of days, fingers crossed, was detailed in the following post from sowen.  Additonal updates to the proffessional settings and some of the general settings.  Many on that forum have said that reverting an earlier firmare version of their Asus Zen XT8 worked.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/interrupted-connections-on-zenwifi-ax-xt8.73210/post-726948

Recommended Solution
Options
17 Reply
Re:HS100 Smart switches slow to respond...or not at all after WiFi router upgrade
2021-05-30 13:45:38
Do you have multiple access points? The switches may be connecting to the wrong access point and are using a marginal wifi signal. They don't always pick the loudest SSID, often they pick the first one they find that matches. You might move them, or perhaps use your old router with a separate SSID just for them.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Re:HS100 Smart switches slow to respond...or not at all after WiFi router upgrade
2021-05-30 23:26:35 - last edited 2021-05-30 23:27:37

@MikeP 

Wish it was that simple Mike. Have a router with one node...all the same network. Smart lights working perfectly with the lag on the smart switches only. This includes one switch less than 2metres from the WiFi router itself? Seems like something is delaying their access to TPLink-Kasa when actioning a request? Also, old router has gone bye bye. crying

Options
2021-05-31 02:05:17
Does seem like it's something with the router since a swap fixed it. Running 20MHz signal width is sometimes necessary, as is disabling any turbo/speed enhancements on the 2.4GHz signal, the kasa devices use vanilla wifi chips. N only if you can. I've seen some folks have success by enabling Wifi Multiple Media (WMM) if your router has it. It is odd that the bulbs are good and it's just the switches...
Options
2021-07-24 13:47:34

@Pedro109 

Hi there!

Have you found any solution yet? 

I have same problem since last year when I bought Asus XT8. I have 5 x HS100 v2.1 connected only to one and closest AP but it doesn't help. 

Smart plugs keep disappearing in Kasa and sometimes it takes 20-30s to show them. That's why my Google assistants (2xhome mini) and Alexa (Echo Show 5) don't work anymore correctly with HS100. Of course problem didn't exist with old router (EE Smart Hub UK). Removing and reconnecting smart plugs in Kasa and Google Home also didn't make any difference. Anyone sorted this problem, please? 

Options
2021-07-25 01:06:09 - last edited 2021-07-25 01:07:40

@Pedro109 

Yes. That is exactly what I was seeing in my app.

There were numerous emails back and forth between myself and TP Link tech support. They tried all manner of things but finally washed themselves of the problem by stating it was "probably a chip incompatibility between the ASUS XT8 and the HS100 plugs". I'm not sure how that would work but what do I know?

Solved the issue by wiping myself of TP Link smart products. Sold them all off and replaced my entire system with ARLEC Grid Connect products which work perfectly. 

Options
2021-07-25 10:14:02

@Pedro109 

Thanks for prompt response. I contacted Asus support yesterday first time ever and we will see how it goes...

If Asus won't help me probably I will end up with same solution as you. 

Have a great day 😀

Options
2021-07-25 13:16:25

@Ewkie Your problem may be an issue with the mesh as I mentioned earlier - you can't force a Kasa device to an AP unless it has a unique SSID.  Perhaps it is a chip incompatibility but that sounds like tech support BS to me too - why would the Kasa devices connect ok but then drop later?  You might verify which issue is the problem by temporarily shutting down all but the main router - of course any kasa device too far away may struggle, but if the closer ones remain connected/active there's nothing incompatible with the chip set.  If not, it's more likely to be a router/wifi settings issue - suggesting a chipset incompatibility without confirming with the design engineers isn't something a responsible support person should be doing...

Options
2021-07-25 23:12:25
Good luck with ASUS. When I tried them they brushed me off immediately saying it wasn't an issue with their product and I needed to contact TP-Link.
Options
2021-07-25 23:23:22

@MikeP 

Tried using only the XT8 with its satellite turned off. Made no difference. Annoying as the Smart Globes continued to work fine ...just the Smart Plugs that had the issue. You'd think their WiFi chips would be tne same but apparently not?

Options
2021-08-17 11:32:47 - last edited 2022-01-11 09:07:46

@Pedro109 I had the same issue and I believe I solved the issue. It's the Adaptive QoS (Quality of Service) setting that is enabled in the XT8 router. If you disable this all your smart switches including the HS100/110 versions go back to normal. I believe they do not get prioritisesd because they only have a 1Mbit bandwidth. This was happening with my LIFX switches also. 

Hope this helps :) 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 6585

Replies: 17