Tapo App can't communicate with C200 on a different VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-06 16:31:11 - last edited 2021-10-08 01:50:34
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.14

Hi

I placed the C200 on my IoT network with its own VLAN.

Firewall rules are set to block all internet access and drop any connections from IoT to Main Network but not the other way round. 

I can view live recording via RTSP both on the main and IoT network without issue.That's how I view all my cameras; no internet and IoT devices don't talk to the devices on Main

Scenario A: The tapo app can't see the C200 (perceived as offline) when I'm connected to the Main network

Scenario B: The tapo app sees C200 no issue which was what I expected, if my phone is connected to the IoT network

So I thought it would work if I reconfigure the firewall rules to accept all connection from IoT to the Main but not the internet. To my surprise, the Tapo app still doesn't see the C200.

Bear in mind the C200 doesn't have internet access in both scenario

Any idea?

Any ports that the tapo app is using to see the status of the camera?

What sort of protocol are you using to establish initial connection with the camera?

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Tapo App can't communicate with C200 on a different VLAN
2021-11-18 16:40:13

@fishermanG Hi,

Have you gone further in this issue?

I have experienced the same thing you explain, and I tried to investigate a bit about it.

What i saw is that the Tapo application seems to be working with some kind of broadcast handshake to perform the network discovery of devices.

This is what i see comming from the app when I do a refresh of devices.

Being a broadcast communication makes it not VLAN friendly.
Getting multicast traffic between VLANs as far as I know is possible, but broadcast does not seem easy to achieve, or at least it is unadvised.
If you find any solution, please let me know!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1452

Replies: 1

Related Articles