2 HS200 replacing 2 light/fan switch need help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-21 00:35:51 - last edited 2021-10-21 21:47:18
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have 2 dumb switches that control the fan and fan light. Switch on the left fan, switch on the right fan light. I wired up the two switches how I thought was the normal way and only left side got power - was able to set up, but nothing worked on ceiling unit even though I could hear the click on the switch. I decided to also put the right switch's neutral wire into the bundle with the left switch's neutral wire (as it was working). Then both switches got power, was able to set up the second, but same issue where ceiling unit didn't do anything. House built 2019

3 pictures below on original dumb switches, I assume bundle of white wires not connected are the neutral. Last picture was the final wiring I had with the Kasa switches

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:2 HS200 replacing 2 light/fan switch need help-Solution
2021-10-21 02:48:32 - last edited 2021-10-21 21:47:30

@Cflook00 Hard to be certain from pictures, but I'd start like this:

All whites together in one neutral bundle (or two smaller bundles jumpered together).

The incoming black - the 14/2 wire with just white/black/copper is probably line in.  It should be fed into one black on each HS200 and the white to the neutral bundle.

The outgoing wires to the fan/light are probably the 14/3 with white/black/red/copper.  White should go to the neutral bundle.  Black to one HS200 black (by itself).  Red to the other HS200's black (by itself).

You don't need that white jumper between the two switches - it was feeding line in to the other original switch.  The whites from the HS200s both go into the neutral bundle.

You're getting close if the switches were booting/connecting.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-21 19:06:54 - last edited 2021-10-21 21:47:18

@MikeP thanks for taking a look at this. After reading your response a few times I took a closer look at the wires. It is actually wired just like you said...that white "jumper" is actually connecting/splitting that single black line in, so it does go to one of the switches and the black to the other. Only change I made was like you said instead of having the two HS200 neutrals in a bundle with just one of the line in neutrals, I put the other line in neutral in the bundle too so all 4 wires were in there and it worked! What a pain but glad I figured it out because this is how almost all the outlets in my house are set up, so now I can move on and conquer 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
2021-10-21 02:48:32 - last edited 2021-10-21 21:47:30

@Cflook00 Hard to be certain from pictures, but I'd start like this:

All whites together in one neutral bundle (or two smaller bundles jumpered together).

The incoming black - the 14/2 wire with just white/black/copper is probably line in.  It should be fed into one black on each HS200 and the white to the neutral bundle.

The outgoing wires to the fan/light are probably the 14/3 with white/black/red/copper.  White should go to the neutral bundle.  Black to one HS200 black (by itself).  Red to the other HS200's black (by itself).

You don't need that white jumper between the two switches - it was feeding line in to the other original switch.  The whites from the HS200s both go into the neutral bundle.

You're getting close if the switches were booting/connecting.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-21 19:06:54 - last edited 2021-10-21 21:47:18

@MikeP thanks for taking a look at this. After reading your response a few times I took a closer look at the wires. It is actually wired just like you said...that white "jumper" is actually connecting/splitting that single black line in, so it does go to one of the switches and the black to the other. Only change I made was like you said instead of having the two HS200 neutrals in a bundle with just one of the line in neutrals, I put the other line in neutral in the bundle too so all 4 wires were in there and it worked! What a pain but glad I figured it out because this is how almost all the outlets in my house are set up, so now I can move on and conquer 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:2 HS200 replacing 2 light/fan switch need help
2021-10-21 21:47:07

@Cflook00 just FYI, TP Link says you can't get it to work haha 😂 so for anyone in the future save your time with them

Options
Re:2 HS200 replacing 2 light/fan switch need help
2021-10-22 03:58:23

@Cflook00 Well, they're not electricians, they're tech support...  but I think what they're trying to say is 2 gang light switches - two switches in one physical device - are not supported.  But two separate switches as in the OP's case work fine.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1007

Replies: 4