TP-Link/KASA Smart Lightbulb Issue 

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-11 09:31:49
Model: KL130  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I use Home Assistant for my home automation, using ZigBee devices as well as Kasa switches and bulbs.  I have a mix of HS200, HS210, HS220, KL110 and KL130 (27 in total, 9 are KL110/130 lights). All have static IPs and all of the switches perform flawlessly. The issue is an infrequent and random situation where one of the lights (KL110/130) will randomly go offline. The device will show offline in the Kasa app as well so the issue appears to be with the device itself.

Again, this is a random issue. Before the latest issue it was 3+ weeks. It is usually only 1 of the lights, once or twice it affected 2 lights, in separate locations. I use these in table lights and such, where it is useful to adjust the color and brightness so replacing them with switches is not a great option.

Simply cycling the power to the light restores connectivity and as these are lights mainly for ambiance and such it is not “mission critical” but it is annoying.

All have the latest firmware and function well except for this one random issue.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:TP-Link/KASA Smart Lightbulb Issue 
2021-11-11 15:48:06

@DaddyVader58 
I expiriencing the same issue for areas where wifi signal is not strong enough. Remember, wifi in light bulbs is not the best, and, as I mentioned in other post, kasa lights have better than average wifi in smart bulbs on the market.

Options
2021-11-11 21:48:29
In the most recent case the bulb is less than 6ft from the AP. In fact, there are 2 bulbs and only one dropped. My house is well blanketed by my WiFi. While a possibility I believe it is a low one.
Options
2021-11-12 16:02:33

@DaddyVader58 
all these 3 light bulbs in the same room in the same chandelier just few inches away from each other, but signal is so different, from great to average. 

and in the same room I can't keep light bulb connected inside metal one 

Options
2021-11-13 13:44:48

@DaddyVader58 Try rebooting your router next time it happens - this is often caused by the router after running for a while.  You might double check that the bulbs really are disconnected from wifi by looking at the router/wap status page for them.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2021-11-13 16:24:59

@MikeP 

I have tried that in the past as well.  So far, the only consistent remedy is to power cycle the affected bulb.  I have a Google WiFi Mesh (1 primary + 2 satellites).  None of the other TP-Link devices exhibit this issue, only the bulbs and only randomly.  

I use Home Assistant to tie all my home automation devices together.  I am going to create a Node-Red flow to query the bulbs every 5 minutes or so, to see if that a) keeps them connected by communicating with them, if this is due to some type of stand-by condition that they are stuck in and b) to send an alert when it happens, to try and determine any external cause.

Other than this issue, I am happy with these devices.  I can state that my Zigbee bulbs (Samsung Smartthings) never cause an issue but I only have 6 of those installed.  All my Zigbee devices (25+) have been trouble free.

Options
2022-01-25 01:45:54

I have this same issue as well. One or two bulbs or will randomly disconnect from wifi and become unavailable. They are all well blanketed with strong wifi signal. The only fix is to reset them and add them back to the app. Seems to happen regularly to specific bulbs. 

Options
2022-03-08 07:00:46

First check your router status to confirm that when the bulbs are offline they're actually disconnected from your wifi.

I don't have that model of bulbs (I have the LBs), but bulbs can struggle with wifi connectivity esp if there's any metal in the shade.

TP Link uses UDP locally which can be a problem for some routers. Try rebooting the router when it happens, if it goes away it's the router.

Static IP doesn't help. Connecting your phone locally might not help either, depends on your network. You could try temporarily blocking them at your router to see if they switch to "local only" and see if they still drop - narrows it down to your local network vs your ISP or TP Link.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1611

Replies: 7