Can't Complete Set Up HS 210

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-23 10:37:49 - last edited 2021-11-25 00:36:55

Is 2 Bar Wifi really enough?

I cannot complete setup.  Problems:

TP Signal is so strong vs. my WiFi, it replaces my phones WiFi signal when I start the app.  So I "forget" the TP network, and reestablish WiFi on the phone, although sometimes the phone reports my "password is incorrect" when auto logging back into WiFi. 

If I get by those issues, the setup proceeds until it doesn't (after attempting to link to TP, no longer "forgotten"). How to troubleshoot?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can't Complete Set Up HS 210-Solution
2021-11-24 01:17:44 - last edited 2021-11-25 00:36:55

Yokushka wrote

@Curmudgeon10 
Wifi signal -80dB and up considered operational (you can check it on your phone and in kasa app, device info). Note: Wifi signal between  -45dB and -55dB considered strong.
However if it is between  -75dB and -80dB it could be not stable enough. Please note, your phone can have better wifi than you smart wifi device, so if you see on your phone something close to -75dB, you switch will not be even able to see wifi access point. 
Sometimes you can trick a switch by installing it in location close to your access poiny and then moving it to desired location, sometimes it works, sometimes not. 

@Yokushka 

OK,, thanks I have completed the successful installation of my first switch.  There were many problems that took a while to sort out.  None of them were switch or app problems it turns out.  My wifi was too weak at the switch location, so I installed an extender.  This was an older unit that wasn't compatible with my phone until I found a software update.  Once the Wifi was solved, it took a while to sort out the strange wiring in my house and get the wiring right.  Once that was solved, everything works fine.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can't Complete Set Up HS 210
2021-11-24 00:03:20

@Curmudgeon10 
Wifi signal -80dB and up considered operational (you can check it on your phone and in kasa app, device info). Note: Wifi signal between  -45dB and -55dB considered strong.
However if it is between  -75dB and -80dB it could be not stable enough. Please note, your phone can have better wifi than you smart wifi device, so if you see on your phone something close to -75dB, you switch will not be even able to see wifi access point. 
Sometimes you can trick a switch by installing it in location close to your access poiny and then moving it to desired location, sometimes it works, sometimes not. 

Options
Re:Can't Complete Set Up HS 210-Solution
2021-11-24 01:17:44 - last edited 2021-11-25 00:36:55

Yokushka wrote

@Curmudgeon10 

@Yokushka 

OK,, thanks I have completed the successful installation of my first switch.  There were many problems that took a while to sort out.  None of them were switch or app problems it turns out.  My wifi was too weak at the switch location, so I installed an extender.  This was an older unit that wasn't compatible with my phone until I found a software update.  Once the Wifi was solved, it took a while to sort out the strange wiring in my house and get the wiring right.  Once that was solved, everything works fine.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 560

Replies: 2