Tapo C200 Timeout Prompts

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-11 17:01:25 - last edited 2022-02-11 21:29:38
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

We have a Tapo C200 Camera for our disabled son's room, we view via the iOS app on an iPad. There is no mobile data involved, purely home wifi.

Like many I suspect, our home wifi includes wifi boosters. As the camera  is upstairs, it may be connected to the wifi booster rather than the main wifi router; we have no way of knowing as the same SSID is used across router and two boosters for ease of connectivity.

The App sometimes timing out at 5 mins and requiring a prompt. Not always though, it seems random. 

Can you explain why that might be? Your previous similar answers would not apply in our case, as we are not using mobile data to view remotely - we are on the same wifi account.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 Time Prompts
2022-02-11 21:09:10

@Tigsteroonie 

If you are using one of those little plug to the mains booster, I believe they are not all they are cracked up to be.  Get an app for your phone like wifi analyser or similar it will show you the strength of signal around your house afaik you shouldnt go below -55 -60

get a used TP wr841 router off eb ca £10 as an extender

Options
Re:Tapo C200 Timeout Prompts
2022-02-11 21:29:14

Thanks for the response. They are actually TP-Link wifi extenders, which we've had for some years and they cause absolutely no problems anywhere else around the home, so changing them is not on the agenda.

I was just trying to understand what triggered the inactivity time-out prompts. This evening was a classic example, the app asked me three times to verify that I "wished to continue viewing" - but after those three times, it has settled down and has not asked me for the last two hours. I only mentioned the wifi extenders in case they were linked to the problem.

Options
Re:Tapo C200 Timeout Prompts
2022-02-11 21:48:19
Yup I had that problem a while back then it cam back today with a vengeance, cuttingout on 2 cams every 5 mins I apent hours figuring it was an Android problem BUT BO its a Tapo issue What happened was I was trying to spread my wifi channels around as I have 4 separate sub networks, one for each camera to lower bandwidth demands on each - another story You have to have a separate TP Link ID for each network (I couldnt get two to work on the same network. Somehow The chain of device/TP ID/Network ssid got cross over and in the wrong place and this cause Tapo app to timeout every 5mins Set everything up in correct chains the problem went away Its all to do IMHO with Tapo collecting all your personal network data and storing it (for resale) If you change your layout/devices expect trouble Tapo will spoil your day. I dont know if that helps but do check your chain of comms draw out a detailed block diag with all log in data. its so easy to get mixd up
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 872

Replies: 3