Votes

Privacy Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Privacy Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Privacy Mode
Privacy Mode
2022-03-10 00:32:40
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Currently there is only 1 way to enable privacy mode, and that's to change each camera's setting individually via the mobile app.

Everyone who owns more than 1 of these devices knows how tedious that is.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to do this via an Alexa voice command, but failing that could we please have either the means to enable privacy mode for ALL cameras sharing the same physical location (as defined in the app already) or the ability to do this via an Alexa "Routine", the name of which could be chosen by the owner making it more secret and secure.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Privacy Mode
2022-03-10 15:21:20

@Customer0 

I would like to also chime in on why we currently do not allow this.  The reason why cameras have no Voice Commands, other than to show the live view/stream of a camera on a screened device like Alexa Show or Nest Hub is for security purposes. Because most customers do not have voice assistants that are keyed to only their voice it would be unwise for us to produce a cameras where anyone can say "Alexa, turn off all cameras" or "Hey Google, enable privacy mode"  It would defeat the purpose of a security camera because if someone where to able to shut them off with a voice command.  

What perhaps would be a more convenient and safe way to enable privacy mode for all cameras would be a grouping feature. This way you could control the privacy mode for all cameras at one time, but from the safety of the application.  Would that resolve your concern? 

Options
Re:Privacy Mode
2022-03-17 00:35:17
Hi Carl. Thanks for the reply. Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. I was under the impression that Alexa's voice training would be sufficient to prevent a stranger from disabling the cameras. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I'd be interested to see some evidence that it is not. An Alexa "Routine" which could be invoked manually wouldn't have such a problem, and would give customers the choice of whether they want to also trigger the Routine by voice command. I understand that not all customers have either Alexa or Google devices so a facility within the Tapo mobile app to enable Privacy Mode for all cameras by location (the devices are already "grouped" by location) would be a very useful and welcome feature.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 856

Replies: 2

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.