Wifi Connection dropping pretty much daily

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-01 05:14:19
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.8

I have several Kasa Devices that are dropping off my Wifi almost daily, and have not been able to remain connected for more than 48 hours:

3x HS200

4x HS210

2x KL130

2x HS105

But I also have the following Kasa devices that do not have any issues remaining connected:

2x KP125

1x KP400

1x KC105

1x KC115

I use a Netgear WAX630 Access Point with the following settings for the SSID these devices are attached to:

Broadcasting on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (changing to only broadcast on 2.4 is not a fix, as this is not the problem as all these devices worked just fine for more than 2 years on a Nest Wifi system that broadcast the same SSID on both bands)

Security is WPA2 Personal

802.11w (PMF) is Disabled

Band Steering is disabled

802.11r (Fast Roaming) is disabled

All radios are in 802.11ax mode

2.4GHz radio is fixed to Channel 1

The error I receive in my AP logs for each device is that it could not obtain an IP address, which is impossible because they are ALL set to have DHCP reservations.

I have done everything short of factory resetting the problematic devices, which should not need to be done if the issue is happening to all devices of the same model; maybe if it was one or two devices of the same model not working while others did, I could see performing a factory reset.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Wifi Connection dropping pretty much daily
2022-05-04 20:43:35

@joker47man You may have exceeded the max *wifi* client limit of your router (it's different from the max LAN client limit).  Try restarting your router next time you loose one, if they come back it's a router problem and you may need to restart it periodically.  If they still drop you may need to add a WAP with a different SSID and move some of them over.  Router chipsets usually have a wifi client limit, often 20-50 but router manufactures seldom publish that limit.  Smarter wifi devices (laptops, phones, etc) will simply reconnect next time they need to send (bumping another client), some Iot devices struggle as they don't always realize they've lost the connection.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2022-05-04 22:57:41

@MikeP I am near 100% positive that is not the issue. The wifi is done through a Netgear WAX630 Wireless Access Point and IP assignments are done through a firewall, which has all the smart devices assigned DHCP reservations. This Access Point is, as per Netgear's site, capable of 600 clients, with 100 concurrent.

Options
2022-05-05 03:41:12

@joker47man Ok, so it sounds like the wifi limit that would cause an issue is the 100 concurrent.

Since they worked before you know it must be your new router, so of course it's a case of eliminating potential issues till it's sorted.

Always start with a reboot of the router as they're notorious for picking up gremlins the longer they run, doing this helps avoid misleading symptoms.  A power cycle or restart of any kasa devices that don't reconnect, then wait to see if any are lost.  If it takes longer then you know that's the issue...

Next try the most conservative settings on your 2.4GHz band - I don't see that you've mentioned the channel width - I use 20MHz, they don't need much bandwidth anyway.  N only if you can.  See if there are any QoS, fairness, or extra security settings that might need to be changed.

A DHCP problem implies the DHCP server on your router has an issue, it's not a problem from the kasas'.  Could be dropped renewal packets.

Use the kasa app to check the wifi signal of the problematic devices a few times each, compare the average strength to the ones that work - if they're all low that's likely the problem.

If you have multiple APs the kasa's may be connecting to an AP too far away, they don't always see the closest.  The easiest solution is to give your APs different SSIDs and force the kasa devices onto the closest.  If you can't, you might be able to use your old router in AP mode or as a separate subnet just for your kasa devices (route it through your main router).

Good luck!

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2022-06-05 04:27:27
Some AP's have a minimum DB level below which they will reject a session. It's intended to help roaming. If you happen to be somewhat marginal you could simply be seeing the AP kicking them out. ChecK AP config for same.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 811

Replies: 4