2 NC450 went crazy after updating to firmware 1.5.6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-30 22:25:33
Tags: #NC450 downgrade
Model: NC450  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

Hi!!! Like many other users, after upgrading to the latest firmware (1.5.6 build Build 200924) my TWO NC450 started to reboot every 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes...

I've done the factory reset thing many times, to no avail.

Can someone send me the "middle firmware" that i see in other threads? I need to downgrade to recover my two NC450!!!

Thank you very much!!!

Best regards

PAblo.

Options
4 Reply
Re:2 NC450 went crazy after updating to firmware 1.5.6
2022-12-01 01:15:26

@pjaguilar 

Is that the latest status of your camera? According to the information on this thread, they has resolved the problem. https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/590230  My camera is working now anyway. 

Options
2022-12-01 01:25:59

@Riley_Blue Thank you very much for the link, tried again, and voila!!! The boot loop stopped.

BUT, alas, Tp-link does not offered any insight about what happened. I'm very worried about this, we don't know if this was a massive hacking event, or Tp-Link itself sent a "kill command" of sorts to all of our NC450's... Why they can control our devices in such a way is beyond me. (the firmware itself is 2 years old!!)

Very very strange.

Again, thank you very much!!!!!

Best regards, PAblo.

Options
2022-12-01 08:10:26 - last edited 2022-12-01 08:11:05

@pjaguilar Well, the more i think about this, the more worried i become.

It was not a Tp-link cloud service error. Why? Because the error kept happening even with a factory reset (and before login in to the service).

So, with any theory (external attack or internal "error"), the devices are communicating with Tp-Link even when the device is not registered with the cloud service.

THIS IS A HUGE SECURITY / PRIVACY issue!!!!

Can someone from Tp-Link explain to us why this happened?

I repeat, this is HUGE.

For now i've replaced the Tp-Link cameras, and i'm very worried about plugging them again. It's a shame, because they are very good.

And this is a firmware-related issue, because it started happening when most of us upgraded to firmware 1.5.6. (and the fact that you cannot downgrade the f***ng firmware, is VERY SUSPICIOUS to say the least).

Best regards, PAblo.

PS: the fact that the devices are "old" (they are not THAT old LOL), has nothing to do, even if the devices don't qualify for cloud services, that is not a reason to not being able to use them locally. And is CERTAINLY not a reason for the camera communicating with Tp-Link services without us knowing!!

Options
2022-12-02 03:34:02

@pjaguilar 

Thank you very much for following up on this issue. We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused by this incident.

Once we were made aware of this incident, our top priority was to restore the service to our affected customers as quickly as possible. There was an unexpected cloud service fluctuation, which caused the NC camera to send requests continuously, and it results in the loop reboot issue you experienced on Nov 26. Now this problem has been fixed, and all the cameras should be back to normal. There is no requirement to reset or reconfigure it, it will work just like it always did.

In your case, it is possible that the camera wasn't fully factory reset or it wasn't reset successfully, it was still connected to the internet, which caused the ongoing data packet communication errors.

The firmware 1.5.6 was released about two years ago, it is not related to this incident. It's a coincidence that the problem occurred on your side after you updated the firmware. Please don't worry, it is not a security issue.

We will make sure to learn from this incident and keep striving to provide great and reliable services.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options