KS230 stopped working...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

KS230 stopped working...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
KS230 stopped working...
KS230 stopped working...
2022-12-11 17:56:50
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I installed a new KS230 switch. It was able to control the appropriate set of lights, dim, and connect to the app. I then turned off the power to screw the unit into the box. When I did this and turned back on the power I found the following: 

- when the power was turned back on the switch returned to the flashing green and orange wifi light

- both the main and the sattelite switch moves between showing and not showing the white circle when pressed.

- neither the main nor the sattelite switch controls the lights at all (they are constantly off). 

- I was able to re-link to the KASA app but this had no effect on the functionality. 

- I  know that the wiring is correct as it did work fine before I screwed the switch into the electrical box. 

- although it could have pulled the neutral wire out when I screwed it in, this does not appear to be the case (and I think that would remove power from the switch).

Options
1 Reply
Re:KS230 stopped working...
2022-12-27 05:43:27

SPBell wrote

I installed a new KS230 switch. It was able to control the appropriate set of lights, dim, and connect to the app. I then turned off the power to screw the unit into the box. When I did this and turned back on the power I found the following: 

- when the power was turned back on the switch returned to the flashing green and orange wifi light

- both the main and the sattelite switch moves between showing and not showing the white circle when pressed.

- neither the main nor the sattelite switch controls the lights at all (they are constantly off). 

- I was able to re-link to the KASA app but this had no effect on the functionality. 

- I  know that the wiring is correct as it did work fine before I screwed the switch into the electrical box. 

- although it could have pulled the neutral wire out when I screwed it in, this does not appear to be the case (and I think that would remove power from the switch).

@SPBell 

1. Open switches back up

2. If switch box space is tight, you may need to remove the wires and do some creative twirls / spirals of the wires optimize the wiring space coverage ** Rounded bends, do not angle bend.

3. Reconnect and ensure good contact.  Personally, I use WAGO lever connectors and do not use twist caps.  Whatever you use to connect make sure it meets safety code for your region.

4. Use electrical tape to cover exposed metal on the Kasa switch and wires.

5. ** Loosely connect the switches into the box with only a few turns.

6. Power breaker back on and test ensure things are working.  At that point you can still safely fasten the switches the rest of the way, or turn breaker off again if you're extra cautious.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 302

Replies: 1

Related Articles