HS200s turning off randomly, turning on when turning on a dofferent room

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-20 02:07:29
Model: Kasa  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

I've had 10 HS200 switches installed for over a year with minimal issues. And today several rooms lights were randomly turning off. Or when you turn it on, it instantly turns off. Or when turning on one room, a totally different room in the house turns on... thought the firmware was to blame, it did in fact have an available update, but its still doing it even though it has now updated.

Options
1 Reply
Re:HS200s turning off randomly, turning on when turning on a dofferent room
2022-12-21 16:56:49

Nspokane wrote

I've had 10 HS200 switches installed for over a year with minimal issues. And today several rooms lights were randomly turning off. Or when you turn it on, it instantly turns off. Or when turning on one room, a totally different room in the house turns on... thought the firmware was to blame, it did in fact have an available update, but its still doing it even though it has now updated.

@Nspokane I also have the same issue and have many different Kasa switches throughout the home.  In my case, I found the issue of certain switches, usually the same ones, begin to act randomly when I have my Kasa smartphone app open.   Even after several app updates the issue continues to occur, but I think maybe a little less.

Do you happen to have a Mesh wifi system at home?   The two switches that act randomly the most for me are both KS220M my best guess is the issue is caused my a combination of one or more factors.

1. Many Kasa devices linked within the same account / home - syncing with the router

2. Poor wifi range / signal

3. Congested 2.4ghz signals - possibly also bouncing around between overlapping Mesh access points.

4. Kasa devices dropping / resyncing due to above conditions.

Loading or keeping the Kasa smartphone app seems to force more push / pull pings to the devices thus exacerbating / spotlighting the weak points of the devices and ones setup.  I use Asus aimesh here, primarily because we previously invested in Asus routers which were compatible.   I tried a feature to bind Kasa devices to the nearest Mesh access point but it caused even more issues, likely due to issues with Asus aimesh.

This may be less of an issue where there is no mesh system and all Kasa devices are well within range, and or better more industrial Mesh systems.  Fortunately the issue has not affected any bedrooms, just a switch in our laundry and a storage room.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 175

Replies: 1

Related Articles