Wattage Rating

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wattage Rating

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Wattage Rating
Wattage Rating
2022-12-28 03:20:21

Hello everyone.  I'm looking for clarification on the amperage/wattage rating for these switches.  I'm specifically looking at the HS210, which would suit my needs, however the specifications state "15 amps general use, 600 watts LED/CFL/Incandescent."  Why do these switches have such a low wattage rating when the switch is used for lights, but a standard 15 amp (1,800 watts) rating for "general use."  The lights on the circuit I want to control with this switch are a total of 960 watts (8 amps), which is well below the "general use" rating of the switch, but 33% over the "600 watts LED" rating of the switch?  Is anyone running these switches with lighting over 600 watts on the circuit with no issues, and/or what are the issues I'd be facing at 960 watts?  Not sure why the switch is "derated" down to 600 watts for lighting....

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wattage Rating
2022-12-28 07:46:20 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:49:03

@Camox

It does not sound safe if the total consumption of  Led is over 600 Watts... Overload can burn the switch out.

Options
Re:Wattage Rating
2022-12-28 15:14:42

@Little_C thank you.  Still trying to figure out why, though, the switch is rated for such a smaller load when used for lights, than it is for general use.  In other words, if the switch is powering a non-light, it's rated up to 15 amps, but if it's powering lights, it's only rated for 5 amps (600 watts)?  Just trying to figure out why that is?

Options