KP115 Smart Plug suddenly constant clicking on and off see video inside

2023-01-06 20:32:08 - last edited 2023-01-06 21:37:55
Tags: #fault
Model: KP115  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.16

Hi all I currently own a dozen or more KP115 smart plugs dotted all around the house no issues for around 18 months until Tuesday this week when out of nowhere I could hear a clicking sound upon inspection it was coming from one of the smart plugs, unplugged it and tested it in another socket same issue tried hard reset / factory reset nothing helped, anyways on to today and again another clicking sound and you guessed it upon inspection yet another KP115 smart plug just clicking away so had to remove it.

Scary thing is the fact that they are turning on and off over and over at a very fast rate this could potentially damage whatever you have plugged in or maybe even be a fire hazzard.

What I would like to know is has anyone else had this issue what was done to fix it, did you RMA or just throw it away?

At this moment I am worried about continuing to use the other plugs I have around the house just in case this happens again and I am not around to unplug it.

Here is a link to a video I made showing the issue https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sGoLpy_sod8

File:
kp115.failurex2.mp4Download
Options
27 Reply
Re:KP115 Smart Plug suddenly constant clicking on and off see video inside
2023-06-25 19:21:51 - last edited 2023-06-25 19:22:21

@thewatcher Hi Did you manage to fix this ? I just got the same problem with my KP115 energy monitor.   Constant clicking on and off whenever it is plugged in and no option to control it through the kasa app.  Many thanks.

Options
2023-06-30 09:39:21

@MikeyMSomewhere 

May I know what device is the KP115 connected to? Did anything unusual happen before the problem? Like a power outage, switching to a high-power appliance?

Have you updated device firmware recently?

Try to remove the appliance and factory reset the plug. And try to switch it to a different outlet.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-07-24 14:00:24

@thewatcher 

Seeing the same issue with 2 of my KP115s. Clicking on and off rapidly as soon as I plug them in (with no appliance attached).

Cannot reset via button on the side

Cannot see either Smart Plug in Kasa APP.

Seems to be an internal physical failure. Any RMA contact?

Options
2023-07-25 16:35:03

@heavydawson 

heavydawson wrote

@thewatcher 

Seeing the same issue with 2 of my KP115s. Clicking on and off rapidly as soon as I plug them in (with no appliance attached).

Cannot reset via button on the side

Cannot see either Smart Plug in Kasa APP.

Seems to be an internal physical failure. Any RMA contact?

It is indeed an internal hardware failure, I no longer trust them and have unplugged all others.

I never got mine RMA I have just replaced them with a different model, not pleased with the replies I got regarding my original issues which totally put me off the tplink brand for future purchases.

I feel the customer service could be improved significantly in the future would have been nice to have got replacements but hey I have learnt from my poor experience.

Options
2023-08-14 07:03:11

@thewatcher I've just had the same thing happen to me this morning. On of my many plugs just randomly clicking on and off in quick succession. No power outages or surges have occurred, the plug doesn't feel warm or anything, it's just gone I to freakout mode. I agree it's kind of worrying and makes me feel nervous about the other plugs. I feel an amazon review coming on. 

Options
2023-10-05 09:34:33

@thewatcher 

Tapo P110 .... WiFI plug has commenced continuous clicking ...... I believe a power cut may have triggered this .... Tried pressing side button continuously and as one off to re-set but no joy .... Any solution to this or is it the BIN?

Options
2023-10-17 17:46:09

I am experiencing same problem with two out of four KP115 smart plugs.  It seems like a manufacturing problem.  Shame really.  As already mentioned in this thread, this could result in significant danger and damage, depending on what is connected to these plugs.  Tp-link should seriously consider a recall before somebody sues them for substantial damages.

Options
2023-10-18 12:15:19
People will probably think I'm crazy but I bought 44 of these 2 years ago when they were on offer in a local electronics store. Of the 44 , 12 have died over the course of the 2 years, so roughly a 27% failure rate.
Options
2023-11-06 14:14:56

Two of my HS300 powerstrips started doing this.  First noticed last Thursday night.  Was there a recent firmware update that would have changed this?

Options
2023-12-13 23:05:13 - last edited 2023-12-13 23:07:29

@heavydawson That tracks with my experience.Out of 18 plugs (KP105 & KP115) that I bought in the past 3 years, 5 have died, so 28%.

They all die in the same way - by getting into a loop of power cycling quickly and repeatedly. It's a pretty bad way to fail: the last one died when connected to my TV yesterday, turning it on and off (as well as my entire home cinema, thanks to CEC!) every second for I don't know how long, since I wasn't in the room until the evening. Might have been hours.

The biggest issue isn't that they fail, it's how they fail. They should just die and stay dead, that would be better. This, on the other hand, is worrying, so I'm not interested in an RMA with what sounds like a design flaw, and I'm binning them all now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 4931

Replies: 27

Tags

fault